Help and Support
Ask a question, report a problem, request a feature...
<<  Back To Forum

Convert/ migrate normal Tixati to Portable without issues?

by crashnburn on 2016/08/17 10:08:23 PM    
Convert/ migrate existing normal Tixati installation to Tixati Portable without issues? How?

up vote
down vote
favorite
Tixait x64 install on Win 8.1 Pro on SSD: Current locations and Paths:

C:\Program Files\tixati
\%AppData%\Roaming\tixati
C:\DOWNLOADS\TORRENTS\.. ..\APPS ..\OS ..\UTILS ..\FITNESS
.. \FITNESS
.. \FITNESS\REHAB
.. \FITNESS\DIET
.. \FITNESS\DIET\RECEIPES
I'd like convert/ migrate this installation to Tixati Portable one such that no linkages to settings & Torrents/ Download folders get broken.

Let's assume my new root for Tixati Portable would be:
C:\D\Tixati_portable

Will even consider moving all of it into a single Root Folder and adjust File Paths so that if needed, would like to move all from SSD to another HDD or even PC.

Now, it seems like some simply moving files from Program Files & AppData into the portable structure would work while mapping every path.
But, I am not sure about these:

How & where the "paths are saved" in the default install? Some Config/ INI or Binary file format location?
Whether it stores absolute paths or some kind of relative path structure to main folder:
C:\DOWNLOADS\TORRENTS\
Here is the link for Tixati Portable and relevant information (marked bold)
https://www.tixati.com/download/portable.html
Download Tixati v2.43 Portable Edition
This portable version of Tixati is meant to run on a USB flash drive or other portable media. It stores all it's configuration files in the same folder as the executable binary files, and all file paths are stored in a format relative to the program executable folder.

The portable edition comes as a standard .zip / .tar.gz / .tar.bz2 archive file that can be extracted directly to your portable media. Executable binaries for both Windows and Linux are included. The portable edition of Tixati can be moved freely between both Windows and Linux systems and the configuration files are platform-neutral.

It is important you do not delete the "tixati_portable_mode.txt" file within the executables folder. This file is what triggers Tixati to run in portable mode. (The executable binaries are actually the same as the standard edition binaries.)

When running the portable edition from a USB flash drive, especially one that is formatted in FAT16/FAT32, you may experience some lag when initially loading a new transfer. This is because initializing and allocating large files on flash-based media consumes a greater amount of time and resources compared to a conventional hard-drive.
tixati_portable_mode.txt

PLEASE DO NOT DELETE THIS FILE

This file will cause Tixati to run in portable mode.  It will
keep it's settings and other configuration files in this folder.

If you remove this file, Tixati will not run in portable mode
and will store it's settings in the user appdata folder.

For more information about Tixati, please visit www.tixati.com
by crashnburn on 2017/06/29 08:43:34 AM    
Can someone please guide on this? Preferably the Dev who understands the SLIGHT difference between both so could point out and recommend how we may go about it.

Any mods can you please ESCALATE this to the Dev. It would be quick INSIGHT from his end that one of the Mods/ Members can then organize as a How to.
by crashnburn on 2018/02/04 06:10:00 PM    
This is a KEY thing I need and would gladly donate if this was implemented or clarified on how to go about doing this?
by EvilLivesHere on 2018/02/04 06:53:35 PM    
I'm assuming you're currently running Tixati as an installation.  Simplest answer I can give you is:
- Export your settings to a file via the option in the Settings menu
- Exit Tixati and restart it in portable mode
- Import your settings from the file via the option in the Settings menu.
by crashnburn on 2018/02/05 02:22:54 PM    
I'm assuming you're currently running Tixati as an installation. Simplest answer I can give you is:
- Export your settings to a file via the option in the Settings menu
- Exit Tixati and restart it in portable mode
- Import your settings from the file via the option in the Settings menu.

Here is the issue..

INSTALL A
My Installation Tixati runs off Program Files\Tixati\....
And Its Root Folder for Download Storage is DOWNLOADS\TORRENTS

Paths are absolute and separate locations..

PORTABLE B
While I also run a separate Tixati Portable off an External Drive - E\APPS\Tixati\
And Its Root Folder for Download Storage is E\APPS\Tixati\downloads\..

Paths are relative and similar locations..

Now how will it maintain and manage its linkages and paths if I convert the existing INSTALL A into a PORTABLE A?
Or will it maintain the paths AS IS before..

ALSO
How could I convert INSTALL A files towards PORTABLE B?
by Guest on 2018/02/09 01:38:51 AM    
Hey crashnburn!
Although Tixati seem to support relative file paths, the UI in v2.56 doesn't allow you to type it in, and the folder browser always adds absolute locations.
And even the exported configuration files seem to be proprietary and not in human readable format, (such a shame)

So I recommend the following:
1) Open the installed Tixati.
2) Go to settings > Import/Export and select "Export Configuration To File".
3) Close the installed Tixati
4) Download and start Tixati portable
5) Go to settings > Import/Export and select "Import Configuration From File".
I the pop-up dialog make sure you import "Transfers" (it keeps your download list) but deselect "Settings".
6) Configure the rest of the settings from the UI which were not imported.
7) Select all torrents on your download list > Right click > from the dropdown menu select Local Files > Location > and select the "downloads" folder shortcut to move the files there.
Don't click on "Move to.." and browser the downloads folder, because it will be added as absolute path.
8) Success?

Only this preconfigured "downloads" shortcut is relative, although the UI still shows its absolute path everywhere.
by crashnburn on 2020/05/05 06:23:27 PM    
Can someone share some insights on this matter?

This web site is powered by Super Simple Server