Help and Support
Ask a question, report a problem, request a feature...
<<  Back To Forum

Transfer over LAN not possible?

by swetnap on 2016/06/26 09:20:08 PM    
Hello!

Seemingly every torrent client makes it possible to transfer files on LAN with high speeds, e.g. µTorrent to qBittorrent and vice versa.

I enabled SSDP (Default on) along with PEX and DHT (both send/receive) like in all BitTorrent-clients I used before Tixati, which were a lot, but it seems to fail at Tixati itself to connect to the peer in LAN, whatever client it is using. So e.g. qBittorrent to Tixati and vice versa does not work, neither Tixati to Tixati.

Both PCs are using the latest version (v2.43) with the same settings, but different ports (both ports are forwarded to my router, the firewall has allowed Tixati to use those ports without any problem).
While I download a torrent (which my laptop is seeding with WiFi) with my desktop (leeching with LAN cable), there only are peers from the "outside", but not my laptop from the LAN.
Even creating a whole new torrent on which my laptop is the only seed both in LAN and in the trackers does not work - my desktop seems to ignore the local IPs (192.168.x.x ... you know those IPs).

Maybe it is me who cannot find a solution, or it is Tixati.

Again, the transfers work perfectly between any BitTorrent client to choose between, but once Tixati is in use, it does *not* work.

My network is built as followed:
Desktop -> LAN cable -> router
Laptop -> WiFi @ 72MBit/s -> router

WiFi = 2.4GHz radio type, channel 4; no interference with other WiFi's from the neighborhood; secured with WPA/WPA2

If I need to provide more information, please tell me to do so.
Mods: Too much information? Feel free to remove it. :)

EDIT: I probably need to say that I did some research about Tixati and these transfers over LAN too, but these researches weren't really successful - which is why I wrote this topic.
by Guest on 2016/06/26 09:33:33 PM    
When you allowed Tixati in your Windows Firewall, did you allow for both public and private networks?  This sounds like a firewalling issue, and if you don't have it trusted on the private network Windows will filter all 192.168 stuff.  And I think the private one is not checked by default.

You could also check your main log on the Home window in Tixati for any network errors, but everything should be fine.  Tixati supports SSDP discovery (which is compatible with the other clients) and also a Tixati-Tixati Secure Local Resource Discovery.  All this stuff worked for me last time I needed it (but that was a while ago).

Did you try manually adding the peer IP to make sure you can even connect?  In the transfers tabs, under Options > Peers, there is a place you can enter an IP:Port manually.  If you can't connect that way, there's definitely a firewall problem on one end and/or the other.  But even if you can connect that way, it doesn't rule out firewall issues preventing SSDP (Tixati can still do hole-punching on some difficult LANs for a manual connect).
by swetnap on 2016/06/26 09:38:35 PM    
Yes, Tixati is allowed both on Private and Public, on both PCs.
I will try out the option with adding the laptop with the IP, thanks for mentioning it -- I will report later whether it worked or not.
EDIT: The option with adding the peer worked perfectly! Thank you very much!
by KH on 2016/06/27 06:24:10 PM    
I am glad this worked by manually adding the IP, but it should be automatic via SSDP and SLRD broadcasts on your LAN.  Perhaps there is an issue with multicasts on your network, or maybe in Tixati.

Before the next release I will test this out among the machines in our office and if I can find any local-discovery problems in Tixati we'll get it fixed up.  If you happen to stumble onto any more information about this problem, please let us know.

Thanks very much for reporting this.  It should be working automatically and I will do some testing to see what's going on.
by swetnap on 2016/06/27 10:05:02 PM    
To be honest, I have no idea if there are problems with multicasts in my network, but looking on the working transfers between several other clients I guess that is not the case -- guess, because I have no idea about multicasts. The router is from 2011, although I got it last year. People say that there are no better devices other than Fritz!Box, on which I build and refuse to use the router given to me from my ISP, as their router has very few options to work with compared to my Fritz!Box (they lack UPnP-support and whatnot).

To list a little more, the transfer between my two machines was restricted to 1 MB/s, although I set no restrictions for uploading/downloading on both clients. µT to µT gave me up to 6 MB/s, so compared Tixati to Tixati is a little slow. I tried Tixati to qBittorrent, same result (although it is known that qBittorrent has slow speeds on LAN).

Additionally, Tixati seemed a little blind when searching for peers on the torrent, seemingly letting local IP-addresses out of focus. It just searched for external IP-addresses outside of the LAN, listing the clients own external IP plus the used port. Again, both clients were set to a "default on" SSDP.

That should be everything I can provide so far. If you need any more info, please let me know. I'd be glad to help in any way :)
by Guest on 2016/06/28 02:47:46 AM    
"To list a little more, the transfer between my two machines was restricted to 1 MB/s, although I set no restrictions for uploading/downloading on both clients. µT to µT gave me up to 6 MB/s, so compared Tixati to Tixati is a little slow. I tried Tixati to qBittorrent, same result (although it is known that qBittorrent has slow speeds on LAN)."

In my networking and local loopback tests of different BitTorrent clients, Tixati v2.38 was very slow -- it wasn't even doing 100 KB/sec sustained in some of my last tests:
https://forum.tixati.com/support/2520/

That's disappointing because earlier versions of Tixati were immensely faster:
https://forum.tixati.com/support/1833/

Under the same tests, qBitTorrent was pretty much the fastest BitTorrent client!
by Guest on 2016/06/28 04:59:09 AM    
Not sure about the last guy's results (something about a ramdrive, seems a bit strange), but we do Tixati file transfer workstation-workstation all the time here, both Fedora 22 Linux boxes, and easily saturate the 100 mbit link.  It runs just a bit over 10,000 KB/s.  Both workstations are just using a standard spinning hard-drive for the download folder.  The latest version is the fastest for us, previously we would max CPU around 5,000 KB/s.
by Guest on 2016/07/03 01:00:22 AM    
A ramdrive makes for higher CPU usage, but often offloaded on another (virtual) core; so Tixati's speeds shouldn't be slower than it would be on the fastest SATA SSD in existence.
My ramdrive can hit 1 GB/sec even for extremely fragmented data and ~6 GB/sec for large sequential reads/writes.

My early Tixati tests were typically well beyond 10 MB/sec -- more than 100 mbit/sec fiber lines can do.
Something in Tixati has broken since then, seems Tixati's CPU usage is much higher than it used to be thus maxing out my cpu cores.
I was forced to use TCP only (NO uTP) because LAN speeds with uTP are VERY vulnerable speed-wise to pingtime jitter, and wifi LAN makes that immensely worse.

If someone else is willing to test a 200-1000 MB single file torrent made with 16 KB piece size on Tixati, maybe the severely crippled speeds I'm seeing can be confirmed.

This web site is powered by Super Simple Server