Help and Support
Ask a question, report a problem, request a feature...
<<  Back To Forum

Auto remove completed torrents?

by PicSoul on 2013/10/22 09:29:13 PM    
Is there anyway to automate removing completed torrents? Maybe a scheduled task i don't see?
by PicSoul on 2013/10/27 07:39:13 AM    
No ideas?
by nnq2603 on 2013/10/28 08:15:16 AM    
Torrent users should be seed as long as you can or at least ratio ~1:1 Why you want to immediately remove completed torrents (automatically and carelessly)?.. Better that function not exists yet. With that mindset, manually remove torrents as you want is the choice.
by Bugmagnet on 2013/10/29 01:00:32 AM    
that would be totally contrary to the purpose of torrents which is to facilitate sharing and reciprocity
by PicSoul on 2013/10/29 01:42:02 AM    
By completed torrents i mean completed as in finished downloading AND finished seeding. I'm not talking about just when the download completes.

Thanks, PicSoul
by Pete on 2013/10/29 11:43:39 AM    
Maybe PicSoul meant auto remove after torrent met upload requirement and is stopped.
by Bugmagnet on 2013/11/03 04:53:17 AM    
obviously it does have the settings to auto-stop seeding after it reaches a configurable ratio. I am having trouble understanding any benefit of removing them after they have reached the share ratio and stopped.
by PicSoul on 2013/11/04 07:21:41 AM    
I just like to keep things VERY organized. I thought it would be great to be able to keep Tixati clean after the torrent/torrents had finished. No big deal. I'll just do it manually like i have been.
by Guest on 2014/04/17 05:30:23 PM    
@bugmagnet Some people don't have 100,000Mb/s connection and need the bandwidth.
by Bugmagnet on 2014/04/19 11:06:17 PM    
I don't know anyone with a 100,000 Mb/s connection. I have a 1 Mb/s service.

100,000 Mb/s would be 100 Gb/s and few if any would even have a NIC card that would handle over 1 Gb/s.

I am not aware of any ISP that provides more than ~1/10 of that for non-enterprise service. In USA, comcast offers xtreme at 105 Mb/s DL, 20 Mb/s UL, in some areas. That's 20 time the 1 Mb/s UL level I am subscribed at.

The original question had nothing related to bandwidth. It merely asked if a torrent could be automatically removed on completion. My response is why does it need to be removed. tixati can shut it down automatically, to stop seeding, which would address any BW concerns. So my question remains, what is the reason it would need to be removed?
by TylerTBarrett on 2014/04/20 02:15:59 AM    
Yeah - I'm new to all of this, and for the sake of space and order I would want to remove anything I don't need on my computer.  I'm still trying to wrap my head around how this works... lol. So I shouldn't delete any torrents?
by Guest on 2014/04/22 08:51:47 PM    
tyler, how this works is people maintaining a library of files and sharing with one another. It is not about how the torrent client works technically...it is about building and maintaining a culture of sharing and reciprocity, give and take. If the files you download are of value to you, likely they are of value to others also.

No one can do it all, but each can contribute and participate.
by Andys on 2015/04/06 12:57:00 PM    
Sorry for resurrecting the thread.
I'd like the function to auto-remove finished torrents too.
A pretty good reason is that old downloads fill memory, downloads list, local Tixati files... etc.
Since I download by auto-loading torrent files, magnet links and RSS feeds, I don't really like to enter GUI and manually remove stopped torrents (those that reached ratio of 2:1).
And well, I don't believe this would be hard to implement, just add a "delete from list" checkbox next to "Stop seeding on upload ratio above".
by Guest on 2015/04/07 05:25:42 AM    
I have found this GOOD answer from another topic and another "Guest"

Topic: how to automatically stop seeding after a download is finished?

   >>>>  http://forum.tixati.com/support/292/        

by Guest on Sat, 04 Apr 2015 05:23:30 GMT

Tixati, like uTorrent, throttles back the downloads if a user does not seed enough. I'm not sure what the minimum overall average seeding ratio is, but I'm quite sure it's an overall average, so if you download many obscure & relatively unpopular items, you should keep your popular items are available long enough so they will seed well above the minimum overall average seeding ratio.

And of course, your obscure & unpopular items might never reach the seeding objective, but precisely because they are obscure, you should keep them available for a good long while -- to be a good P2P citizen, and to help ensure that such obscure items continue to be available. In fact, if you might need to redownload an obscure item later, the longer you seed the item, the more likely it is that you'll find it available in the future.

Anyway, before I really learned how P2P clients worked, I was promptly moving & renaming my downloads, and I later changed the settings to reduce seeding to a bare minimum too, and ultimately I saw my download speed drop to miniscule levels. Then it took me a while "to rebuild my credit." So I don't recommend restricting seeding very much at all. It may prove to be counter-productive, and you'll regret it.

Thanks to this good P2P citizen for his\hers well minded comment!
by Andys on 2015/04/10 12:25:34 PM    
ultimately I saw my download speed drop to miniscule levels
It's a lie or that specific user's circumstances. I never saw or heard about this behavior in my life. Few years ago I had auto-stop ratio at 1.5 and never saw any speed reduction.
Also, I don't believe in that always-seed 'good P2P citizen' crap. I download files and I am obliged to upload twice as much - that's what a "good P2P citizen" is like. Anything more is impossible or ineffective in real world.

p.s. of course, everyone is free to litter their HDDs with old seeded things that:
1. they didn't like
2. were already repacked into SANE format and moved to archive HDD (for example, if linux iso comes zipped, and packing it with 7z produces smaller archive)
3. are too old to be usable, or are outdated
by Guest on 2015/05/30 08:18:06 AM    
Hi,
instead of opening another topic I ask there for some related explainations!

I understand the point of contributing and have no issue with it, but a (not so big) part of my downloads are "moved on complete" in a folder where another program automatically rename and resort them in a library. This is essential to make said files available to my family (it is an homemade nas). Obviously these files hardly reach the seeding quota before being marked as "file missing", greatly impacting on my overall seed ratio.
Is there an option I missed to "move only after seeding" or a chance that such option will be added in the future? This would solve my issue.

Another doubt: like it has been said some torrent are half dead, so their seeding ratio is fated from the start to stay very low. Assumed that they affect the seeding ratio as well, my (probably stupid) question is: the seeding ratio is calculated by file or by size? Meaning, a low seeding ratio with a smaller file affects the overall ratio in a proportional way or in the same way a bigger file would?

Last note, about the OP: automatically removing completed torrent only after the seeding is finished wouldn't be so bad, would it?

That being said, many apologies for my bad english (I hope it was at least readable) and thanks!
by Cool Javelin on 2015/11/02 10:58:12 PM    
Regardless of users opinions on "good practices," No one seemed to answer PicSoul's question.

Most of you digressed into some kind of moral discussion, about removing before you have done your "Good Citizen" duty, or fell into discussing bandwidth, or something about leaving the torrent in your list and just stopping it (good grief, What is the point in that other then clutter.)

I will ask the original question again:
"Is there anyway to automate removing completed torrents?"
I will add: "either using Tixati's settings, or maybe a third party torrent management tool?"

If I choose to not seed my quota, or choose to want to remove the torrent after I have seeded, that is my business, and I really don't want to hear your moral opinions, what I want is an answer. If you don't have an answer to the question, please don't reply to the post with your opinion.

Thanks, Mark.
by Guest on 2015/11/03 03:20:36 PM    
... You felt the need to resurrect this thread why???

Did you answer the OP question?? I believe you went a moral tirade yourself.

IMHO, it would a waste of the developers time to implement such a feature.

-isol8
by Guest on 2015/11/04 10:01:00 AM    
Qbittorrent has this feature, if so inclined

This web site is powered by Super Simple Server