Help and Support
Ask a question, report a problem, request a feature...
<<  Back To Forum

Long time user of uTorrent 2.2.1 tries Tixati

by Guest on 2016/04/29 10:32:29 PM    
Hi,

I'm a long time user of uTorrent 2.2.1 (the last version before it got ruined with ads, bloat and other crap) and thought I'd try Tixati as a more up-to-date torrent client. I'm using Windows 7 64-bit with an SSD and the native version of Tixati 2.34 (upgraded to 2.8) compared against the 32-bit version of uTorrent 2.2.1 on the same PC with a solid 15MB wifi connection. Here's some feedback:

1. How the heck do you pronounce it? Is it tix-ati or tiz-ati?

2. The Tixati UI is much slower than uTorrent. When I click on a magnet link, it shows a splash screen (3 seconds), then loads the torrent and shows "Fetching meta-info" (several seconds) and then shows the popup box to select the files to donwload. On uTorrent, I click the same magnet link and bam, the popup box shows to select files to download and then it goes away to do the rest.

3. Actually downloading speed is great, a bit faster than uTorrent 2.2.1 but the difference is not night and day.

4. The balloon tray notifications are erratic. I've got mine set to always show when a download completes and it sometimes shows and other times doesn't. I need to test this a bit more but I *think* it doesn't show balloon tray notifications, even when enabled, if Tixati is minimised to the tray bar. If I leave it running in the background, it seems to show the notifications.

5. Startup of Tixati is much slower than uTorrent 2.2.1. I'm not blaming that splash screen but on earth is it actually loading?

6. Really like the graphs showing the various stats but if this is at the expense of UI speed, I'd rather the option to not show them for a quicker UX.

7. Not many native 64-bit torrent clients on Windows so well done for offering this.

8. I don't get the point of Chat. Again, if this is at the expense of overall UI speed, I'd rather the option to remove it. I'm old fashioned, I like my programs to do just the one task and do it better than an all-singing all-dancing hybrid.

9. Compare to uTorrent 2.2.1, Tixati seems to suck up all available bandwidth. When downloading torrents, there is a noticeable drop in browsing speed. The same doesn't happen with uTorrent 2.2.1 although the download speed for the same torrent is comparable. Don't know if this is because of network tweaks or because Tixati is just better at using available bandwith but it would be nice to be able to both browse and download torrents.

10. Tixati seems very stable, not had any crashes but memory usage at 23MB is much higher than uTorrent 2.2.1. Not a problem for most modern PC's with gigabytes of RAM but am wondering why it's so much higher.

That's it, I'll be keeping it installed for now and look forward to future updates.

Cheers,

Vic
by Napsterbater on 2016/04/30 02:54:49 AM    
#8: turn if off in the settings, problem solved.

#9: Get a router that can do QOS and Rate Limiting, or better yet, set the max speed Tixati should use, like you should have been doing all along, this is not a Problem, Tixati is doing exactly what it is supposed to, use all available bandwidth, this is a problem with you Internet Connection/Modem and how the internet works.
by Bugmagnet on 2016/04/30 08:18:06 AM    
Welcome guest formerly using uTorrent ...

You said "Tixati 2.34 (upgraded to 2.8)" - assuming that is a typo, are you now using v2.38? V2.38 was a MAJOR re-write of substantial parts of Tixati and for many users, especially those considered 'power users' with lots of active torrents, the benefits over v2.34 and before are remarkable.

In the years I have been using Tixati, I have never learned the 'official' pronunciation. As you noted could be Tiks-ati or Tiz-ati. But in some languages the x carries a ch sound to could be Ti-CHAT-i for the special private chat function. Not likely. Since it is a made up word, perhaps the DEV hasn't decided on the audible for it :p

I for one like the "sharing channel" concept. Sadly there is not often much chat...not like the old days at all. But with chat, I have been able to meet people with a common interest, who appreciated the files I had to share and vice versa. As is, the chat functions are a bare minimum, without the common feature of old IRC chat clients had that made them much more functional...simple things like a beep or sound alert on incoming messages are yet missing from Tixati.

Tixati does seem to use more memory than certain other torrent clients. I can't explain why, but apparently the DEV decided that keeping more torrent and status data in RAM is an advantage for Tixati's functions. Maybe it is doing things differently or perhaps things other clients do not do.. I don't know but trust that the DEV knows what he is doing. He has a long history if innovating, doing things never done before and maybe the current design is laying the foundation for something we cannot imagine. Whatever, it works well for me with a rather large library on share. And Tixati says I have uploaded > 23 TB so it must be working fairly well.

This web site is powered by Super Simple Server