Help and Support
Ask a question, report a problem, request a feature...
<<  Back To Forum

Port Forwarding Does Tixati do this in the program

by loninappleton on 2016/04/26 08:13:07 PM    
Earlier in working with torrents I have tried to set up portforwarding and failed.  Is it possible that the ISP has
coded their dsl modem to prevent using portforwarding?  

I have gone to portforwarding.com and seem to remember that there was difficulty with looking up what was needed for the Actiontec dsl modem supplied by the ISP.  Something about not being able to get to the dsl setup screens.

Does Tixati incoming settings described make this a smooth process?  What is needed?
by BMu33 on 2016/04/29 03:56:50 AM    
If your modem support UPNP and have it enabled, tixati can configure the port forwarding automatically. It is the "Use UPNP" option in Tixati Settings --> Network --> Incoming Ports.

Without UPNP, you can only tell tixati which port to use to listen for incoming connections. The port forwarding itself must be done in your modem software and and firewalls you have installed.
by loninappleton on 2016/04/30 08:31:32 PM    
Ok,

 UPNP  Universal Plug n Play I think it is should be the default.  I'm going to assume that for a bit.

  To forward the port is it random like setting the listening port option to change by day, week or etc?

  Are there specific ports to use to forward?

After all that, is there any error prompt to say if it
is working or not?  This would tell me if I need to try and get into the Actiontec GT701D setup screen

I'll have a look at the Actiontec again-- see if it's setup screens open.  But as I recall, I was stopped at a password prompt.
by loninappleton on 2016/04/30 08:43:33 PM    
The online manual for the device seems greatly improved-- but 91 pages to print out.  So far I have enough info to try the default login routine.   If that doesn't work, I'd be wary of trying to change the login and password since I am not the owner of the device.
by loninappleton on 2016/05/01 08:37:22 PM    
Today I used the ip address to get into the dsl modem and
it would not complete.  It's true I've been getting time out errors for a few weeks where none occured but repeated tries have failed.

Can you say what a good portforwarding address is?  I'll just add that to my config and see what happens.

Will the ipconfig command confirm that the port is forwarded?
by BMu33 on 2016/05/01 08:42:57 PM    
Let a torrent run for a while and then look at the Link column in the Peers tab of the torrent properties.

If UPNP is working it should show a mix of incoming and outgoing connections. If they all show as outgoing, that is an indication that it is not working.
by ZarkBit on 2016/05/01 10:17:12 PM    
If you contact your ISP, they can give you the necessary credentials so you can login into the router and open the necessary ports, Tixati doesn't seem to have any problems with UPnP on my side, so far it is working properly.

There are no specific ports, yet it is advised to use one between 49152-65534.

Default credentials for that modem (Actiontec GT701D), of course you ISP may have changed this, like I said, give them a call and ask for the credentials.
192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1
User: admin
Pass: password
by loninappleton on 2016/05/03 07:03:09 AM    
Thanks for answering I will look at the Links info you mentioned to see if UPnP is going.

All I can say is that with the UPnP box checked and ports randomized on an hour interval no errors occur but the Links info will tell more.

The Credential ip addresses shown above I have tried since they are in the manual and with no load on the router with torrents going.  It just never does complete either on 192.168.1.1 or ,0,1.  

With previous Actiontecs from the ISP I have not had this problem-- was able to at least get to the login screen but nothing with this one.  The connection just times out.

I'll report back on the Links info.
by loninappleton on 2016/05/03 07:17:12 AM    
I made a screen shot but have no image hosting service to post the Link column info.

On one of my regular jobs which has activity:   in Link I see arrows going in both directions  up and down, some "U"  some "T" and lock and unlock icons all for this new fileshare.

If you want to suggest a free file hosting I'll try to sign up.  Most other forums I visit for tech allow images as attachments.
by Bugmagnet on 2016/05/03 09:05:24 AM    
imgur.com
by loninappleton on 2016/05/03 09:38:52 AM    
My verbal description above will have to do.
by BMu33 on 2016/05/03 10:21:36 AM    
On one of my regular jobs which has activity: in Link I see arrows going in both directions up and down, some "U" some "T" and lock and unlock icons all for this new fileshare.

Up arrow means outgoing, down arrow means incoming, you can see this in the tooltip when you mouse over.

Sounds like UPNP is working if you have a good amount of incoming connections.
by loninappleton on 2016/05/03 11:34:33 PM    
That means that element is working for me for the first time that I recall.  I'd have to look up the definition again to see what it means to my transfers.

This web site is powered by Super Simple Server