Help and Support
Ask a question, report a problem, request a feature...
<<  Back To Forum

The Magic of the Merge

by Bugmagnet on 2016/04/25 08:47:34 AM    
Over 2 months ago, I loaded a couple torrents with a similar name and size but they were not an exact match. One torrent contained only a single video file. The other torrent contained what appeared to be the same file, with a slightly different filename and a few other files also.

Today, I noticed one of these flash on my transfers page, unfinished. Then, because of rapid sorting (by B/s OUT), it disappeared from view. I used the filter to bring it up and when I did, the 2nd torrent also showed. I saw that the torrent with several files had completed within hours after I added it months back. Today, it had no other seeds and no peer demand, while the other torrent sat there at 46% finished after 2 months, with 5 other peers waiting to get it also.

I wasn't sure about the capability of the new "Merge" function. Or whether or not experimenting might reveal yet another quirk or bug.

The torrent with multiple files had auto-moved on completion to my FIN folder. The unfinished torrent with a single file remained in my IN folder.

The first step was to rename one to match the other.
The next step was to move one torrent into the Location of the other. Assuming all would go well, and the unfinished torrent would on relocation and force check show as 100%, I decided to relocate the unfinished torrent to the FIN folder. When I did, I got the notice warning of a matching name conflict and asking permission to attempt a merge. Sure. Let's do it.

The unfinished torrent remained unfinished, at 46%. Now the final step. I renamed the video file in the unfinished torrent to match the filename of the video file in the completed torrent. Again, I was asked if I wanted to attempt to merge that file. Ok, do it.

And voila. both torrents now report 100% and I am now seeding it to the other 5 people who have been waiting perhaps more months than I had for it.

With the magic of this new Merge function, I consolidated my files, eliminated duplication of the identical video file saving disk space, completed a stale torrent, am seeding it to others, and can continue to seed both of these torrents from a single folder containing the common files.

This is so sweet. Thank you DEVteam, thank you!

This web site is powered by Super Simple Server