Help and Support
Ask a question, report a problem, request a feature...
<<  Back To Forum

Nonsense

by Guest on 2016/04/21 11:58:07 PM    
I think too many resources are being spent with file moving, renaming, incomplete extensions, what to do when a download is finished (it should be SHARE IT), etc.

Tixati should focus on downloading files, sharing and being efficient. Everything else is an bonus.

I find it more of a problem the fact that Tixati stops searching for seeds/peers so I have to close it, wait and restart it to get things moving again.
by Guest on 2016/04/22 01:02:20 PM    
I find it more of a problem the fact that Tixati stops searching for seeds/peers so I have to close it, wait and restart it to get things moving again.

when does it stop searching? is it still downloading or is it seeding? what OS? what version of tixati?
by Bugmagnet on 2016/04/22 05:21:46 PM    
<editorial rant>

The benefactor of this site has asked that when making posts we should "Keep a civilized tone". It's hard in this case, but I will try to comply...

Guest...you claim it is a "fact that Tixati stops searching for seeds/peers". That may or may not be true. But I have to ask, when did you report this and what evidence do you have? As another asked: what version of Tixati? What OS? Do you have logs and screenshots that might give hints as to what is happening? If you or others can't provide actionable information and details, what do you expect the DEVteam to do? When thousands are using Tixati and few or no others report, much less document, the type of behavior you claim to be experiencing, perhaps it has little or nothing to do with Tixati itself but rather your personal install, settings, OS and HW platform.

Yes, I know this is all about you and what you want/need. About what you think is important, about what you think the DEVteam should be spending their time on. But really now, who are you to decide what they should or should not do? I have no problem with advocating for change(s). I've been doing that for over a decade myself, with both Tixati and predecessor winMX. Hint: my nickname has roots. But in the end, it is their resources, their time and their life.

When it comes to allocation of resources, not my call. And not yours. Suffice it to say that currently Tixati seems to be more in development mode (adding new features and functionality) than merely maintenance (bug fixes). In reality, anyone that has followed the process for the last couple years knows that the DEVteam is quick to fix blatant bugs when they are provided with enough details to isolate the causes, especially when it involves basic functionality that could affect many users (sometimes a bug-fix is released within a few days if not hours).

And yes, I would consider "the fact that Tixati stops searching for seeds/peers" to be such a bug that needs prompt attention...IF it can be shown to actually be a flaw in the design that would affect many and not simply be some obscure user-specific problem caused by user/system settings/conditions. That has yet to be determined one way or the other. You will have to commit your time and resources to documenting and detailing the problem a bit more.

Now as to:
I think too many resources are being spent with file moving, renaming, incomplete extensions, what to do when a download is finished (it should be SHARE IT), etc.

Tixati should focus on downloading files, sharing and being efficient. Everything else is an bonus.

I would agree that the bedrock function of Tixati is to facilitate both downloading and uploading files. That's what a bittorrent client does. And for me and I dare suggest MOST of its users, Tixati does that quite well thank you very much.

But understand, the developer behind transformative tools like winMX and Tixati has both vision and the ability to bring that vision into reality. He has a history of not simply making a 'me too' application but to push the limits and take it to where no other similar application has gone before.

Far beyond import and export of files, we need tools and workflows to organize, maintain and use those files. After all, that is the ultimate goal right? Making use of the files?

This stuff about "file moving, renaming, incomplete extensions, what to do when a download is finished" (via shell commands/scripts) is what is taking Tixati to the next level. All these things are being added to facilitate efficient USE of the files being imported/exported.

And knowing that the DEV is driven to innovate, I for one would not be surprised if something new and amazing comes along that none of us expected, perhaps being built on the expanding functionality we are seeing from Tixati.

But to say that adding features above and beyond the basics of the bittorrent protocol is "Nonsense" is insulting and arrogant. Your ignorance and/or lack of imagination and vision of the functional potential is thereby exposed.

</editorial rant>

Notice of full disclosure:
I am not now nor have I ever been an employee of, or investor in, Tixati, Inc. I have from time to time donated some minuscule amount of funds. Over the course of several years, I have made many requests/suggestions for changes in client behavior and additional features and functionality and I am prone to be opinionated and a strong advocate for same. The opinions expressed are my own and not that of the management of this site or Tixati Inc.

Have a better day.
by donut on 2016/04/22 11:38:04 PM    
Informative AND polite. Nice.
by Guest on 2016/04/23 12:20:20 AM    
I am the OP.

Guest:

It stops after a while. Not sure if it stops searching but doesn't seem to find new ones until the mentioned, closing, waiting and restarting Tixati. Downloading.
Win10 x64, Tixati 2.35-A6
---------------------------------------------------------

BM:

"Your ignorance and/or lack of imagination and vision of the functional potential is thereby exposed."
This is more of a personal attack than anything I said in my post.
------------------------------------------------------------

I am just giving my vote to the Devs as to what to focus on, they can take it into account for the future if they want to. I NEVER demanded anything.

D
by Bugmagnet on 2016/04/24 10:53:19 AM    
Hello D, OP

BM: "Your ignorance and/or lack of imagination and vision of the functional potential is thereby exposed."

This is more of a personal attack than anything I said in my post.

In the words of one of my favorite sages...
"That conclusion may seem harsh, but it is truth.
The edge of extinction does not allow the luxury of mincing words."

Obviously that wasn't about anything so trivial as torrents, but I like those words :)

No offense meant. My DNA seems to dictate being "brutally honest", to the point and without the social graces of tact, though the book is still out on whether it is nature or nurture or a combination of the 2.

I think my observation about "lack of imagination and vision of the functional potential" is well founded. And in this case, referencing "your ignorance" was rather redundant. I wasn't using it as a common pejorative, but in the more analytical sense of "lacking in knowledge or in training" or "lacking knowledge or comprehension of the thing specified". It could simply be that you were ignoring the benefits of the features and functions you called "Nonsense" because you were oblivious to the purpose or uses for them. My 'critical analysis', though blunt, was to encourage thinking outside the box and encourage learning from other perspectives.

Also, I must admit to being a little biased on some such 'fantasy features' and these in particular. I have been trying for over a decade now to advocate for this type of functionality, since back in the days when winMX ruled. Note the changes being planned for v3.54 from v3.53. Beta 4 was well on its way to be a hallmark version, with major changes to the library/sharing functionality before development was abruptly halted under goon threat.

For me, building and maintaining an organized, readily accessible media library is the goal. Torrents are merely a means of import and export for that library. Can you imagine a library without the organization provided by the Dewey decimal system, a card catalog or a computerized version thereof?

All those "file moving, renaming, incomplete extensions, what to do when a download is finished" things are not "Nonsense", they are crucial components that support maintaining a large collection, library more efficiently. Trust the DEV on this. His genius should be obvious from the innovations he has accomplished to date.

And if your 'bug' can be confirmed and detailed, rest assured he will fix that too. Keep reporting things like that. But please, do not insult his intelligence or his choice of how he decides to utilize his personal time and energy resources. That might make him discouraged and we do not want that now do we?

This web site is powered by Super Simple Server