Help and Support
Ask a question, report a problem, request a feature...
<<  Back To Forum

Is The 70% Upload Speed Setting A Myth?

by mikereed on 2016/04/01 07:52:35 AM    
Everyone recommends that we set our torrent clients (not just Tixati) to limit our upload speed to 70% of our connection's capacity. My 3rd world ADSL connection can only manage 64 KBs so the "optimum" value for the outgoing limit should be 45 KBs. However, I get the best download performance (something I have tested over months) with the outgoing limit set to 28KBS, or 44% of my connection's maximum speed. This appears to go against all conventional wisdom. Any thoughts on this?
by Pete on 2016/04/01 07:29:21 PM    
70% is only an advice. It usually works OK, at least it should allow for faster downloads than with upload unlimited. Use whatever value gives you optimal speeds. Remember that you can set-up separate download and upload bandwidth profiles. After marking them as downloading/seeding defaults Tixati will switch between the two profiles automatically. This allows higher upload limits when nothing is being downloaded.
by Guest on 2016/04/01 07:43:05 PM    
@mikereed

from the bandwidth tab - you can test the auto-limit features
run it for a moment (several hours) and check the lower and top values for the outgoing bytes
then adjust your limits

personally i always enable auto-limit bandwidth
by Bugmagnet on 2016/04/02 12:52:20 AM    
the version of tixati you are using may have an impact.

When I was testing this, on v2.28, I found that downloading at 1/2 actual capacity caused my UL bw to drop 75%

With the new v2.35 alpha1 in testing, I could download at twice that rate and my UL dropped only 5%.

I think the best thing to do, when heavily downloading, uncap you upload and see what effect it has on your DL rate. Then cap it at say 25% of UL capacity, and then start increasing it by 5-10% each few minutes until you see a detrimental impact on your DL speed.

And that 70% rule of thumb is also affected by the differential between DL and UL capacity. The reason for the 30% reserve is to allow for overhead needed for the DL packets. So if your DL is extremely larger than your UL rate, then a bigger percentage of the UL will be needed to service the downloads.

This web site is powered by Super Simple Server