Help and Support
Ask a question, report a problem, request a feature...
<<  Back To Forum

Seeing an unreachable IP address (my own gateway) in Peers

by MikeyMoMo on 2016/03/22 11:38:04 PM    
I am quite successfully running Tixati.  Have sent out many GB with it.  I migrated from uTorrent Pro.  There are so many more features and so much more control with Tixati.  Great software!!

This is a low priority but something I want to discuss and see if a fix could be written in for this situation.

I am doing the standard "behind the NAT" setup.  My LAN is 10.10.x.x". (A relic from having a VPN to 10.0.x.x and this side was changed to avoid collisions) My gateway is static at 96.92.xx.xx.  Because of the normal defeat of looping back, I cannot reach 96.92.xx.xx from inside the LAN.  I am not sure what this fixes but it is some kind of security deal.  But, I would not want to loop back to myself anyway since it would be useless.

But, I see my own gateway IP listed in the Peers Address list.  It does not do anything except time out but that wastes some small amount of resources trying to connect, keeping it in the list in a timed out status.  Yes, I can ignore it, and I do.  And I can Remove it, and I do.  But it comes back.  It is still ignored when it comes back but it does come back.  I would prefer to not see my own unreadable gateway in the list on every torrent I have.  And I have lots of them running.

As I said, low priority but seems like something reasonably easy to cure.  It would take some address resolution code to see what the gateway address for me is then completely ignore that address.  It is completely useless to try to connect to myself.  

Thanks for an excellent product!
Mike Morrow
by Bugmagnet on 2016/03/23 10:36:13 AM    
I always thought it a good idea to auto-ignore "self-connect" WAN IPs but not sure if that would break some other function.
by Napsterbater on 2016/03/24 10:12:31 PM    
The reason you see it is because the tracker gives you client that IP, you client has no way to know it is itself, its not possible for it too know unless it was able to connect, then it would know and even say "self connect".

This web site is powered by Super Simple Server