Help and Support
Ask a question, report a problem, request a feature...
<<  Back To Forum

Tixati does report wrong values... sort of

by ZarkBit on 2016/03/21 10:40:46 AM    
Dear MOD, this post contains screenshots with a torrent name. please forward this to devs.

It's not that it reports wrong values, but the way it reports the values may cause problems, before going any further please note that I do not have access to the server in which I tested (and still is testing) Tixati in, I may get some information from the server owner tho if needed.

Values with torrent at 67% complete, 2 peers, while the overall torrent upload value was correct 3.09GB (at the time of the screenshots) the upload value per peer was not, Tixati was reporting 262.81MB uploaded to the peer (Tixati peer list & Site Peer List received this value also), one thing that I had noticed is that everytime the announcement was made to the tracker, the individual (peer) upload would reset to 0KB (on both Tixati and on tracker), the peer was using the same IP, same everything, and yet the peer upload value would reset to 0KB every announcement. why?

Shouldn't it add up, instead of going back to 0KB? I honestly don't remember how other clients work, but I might test with a different client to see the results.

Site User Details Page | "Currently Leeching" List - Upload 268.81MB
(mod note: Screenshot removed and forwarded to devs)

Site Torrent Peer List - Upload 268.81MB

Site User Torrent Snatches List - Upload 3.09GB

Tixati - Overall Upload 3.09GB

By the time the download/upload was done, these were the values I was getting.

Site User Details Page | "Currently Seeding" List - Upload reported as 9.43GB

Site Torrent Peer List - Upload reported as 9.43GB

Site User Snatches List - Upload reported as 12.60GB

Tixati - Overall Upload reported as 12.60GB
by Pete on 2016/03/21 09:09:01 PM    
It is important to understand how statistics are reported to a tracker. With each announcement Tixati sends only two values: downloaded bytes and uploaded bytes. It starts from 0 at the beginning of the session and reports current values at the time of each tracker announcement. Both values are zeroed when the session ends, so when you start Tixati next time or just stop and start a torrent, downloaded and uploaded bytes are reset to 0. This is basically how it works.

No per peer upload or download statistics are reported by any Bittorrent client. What you see on torrent's peers list is reported by each client individually. Remember that they aren't announcing synchronously. For example when tracker TTL is 30 minutes and Tixati just announced the tracker, you should expect that other peer's download and upload values aren't up to date. They are "behind" you by at most 30 minutes. Another thing is statistics on tracker's webpage may not be updated with each client's tracker announcement. Instead they may be updated every 5, 10, 15 minutes or something like that.

everytime the announcement was made to the tracker, the individual (peer) upload would reset to 0KB (on both Tixati and on tracker)
I don't understand what you mean by that. I'm sure Tixati does not reset peer download and upload bytes with each tracker announcement. Even it it did, that wouldn't matter, because only total (per torrent, per session) download and upload values are reported to the tracker.
by ZarkBit on 2016/03/21 09:30:59 PM    
Ok, your explanation has cleared some questions, but I'm still puzzled to why the tracker received 2 different upload values, and this only happened with Tixati, on the other side it was uTorrent and it reported only 1 upload value which is consistent on both the tracker and the client.
by ZarkBit on 2016/03/21 11:39:03 PM    
Oh btw, I'll keep on with the tests, I believe that Tixati does not report bad data, and I was astonished and confused with the values I got, but I'm seriously trying to prove on a private tracker I am that Tixati is safe to use.

So this is not final, I'll keep this topic updated.
by ZarkBit on 2016/03/23 12:37:12 PM    
And it happened again, once again, the tracker received 2 values, one of the values is correct, while the other seems to have reseted to 0.

This behavior already happened 3 times in 2 different sites.

While with other clients (uTorrent, rTorrent, Transmission), this isn't happening...
by ZarkBit on 2016/03/23 01:41:43 PM    
Both values are zeroed when the session ends, so when you start Tixati next time or just stop and start a torrent, downloaded and uploaded bytes are reset to 0.

This is basically what I have been seeing.

Is it possible that Tixati is sending "Event: Complete" Parameter more than once? Could this explain the behavior?
by ZarkBit on 2016/03/23 03:00:15 PM    
Ok so

/announce.php?passkey=xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx&info_hash=xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx&peer_id=TIX0234-j1i3a9i8d1f7&port=xxxx&uploaded=139210518&downloaded=0&left=0&corrupt=0&key=1J1J3M7N&numwant

In this case this means that in this session, it had uploaded 139.210.518 bytes (or around 139MB), in total it uploaded 1.75GB, so from my understanding the problem is server-sided for not adding up the upload values? Considering that, with uTorrent/rtorrent/transmission, the values are being correctly added.
by ZarkBit on 2016/03/23 03:33:04 PM    
Another thing, does Tixati resets the session every 12 hours? I noticed that besides the upload value get reseted, so does the start time on the tracker. Seeding the torrent for 17H & 37M, and the tracker detected a new "Started event" 5H & 22M prior, so roughly 12H & 15M time spwn.

Once again, other clients are not doing this. I'll keep on testing and see which additional flags are sent when the torrent is completed, and also which flags are sent every 12 hours.
by Pete on 2016/03/23 09:11:27 PM    
Try enabling: Settings > Event Logging > Log detailed tracker messages
When you see this inconsistency next time you will be able to check in transfer's event log what was reported to the tracker.
by ZarkBit on 2016/04/04 12:03:29 AM    
Every time I close/open Tixati the server receives double of the real amount uploaded.
by Guest on 2016/04/06 01:47:02 AM    
Been using both the Windows and Linux clients of Tixati for years, I'm an experienced private tracker user and I do carefully follow bandwidth usage and ratio, and I never experienced any of the above.

The above data seems bogus to me; I would attribute it to either a (very) specific issue with your system and usage, or with a misinterpretation of the data reported by Tixati and the tracker.

Nonetheless you did well to report it, I am sure that if there is anything conclusive about it, we'll get to the bottom of it.
by ZarkBit on 2016/04/06 09:21:16 AM    
Well it wasn't exactly an issue, nor a misinterpretation, the values are actually sent correctly, I failed on somethings while I was testing it. Still, I will keep an eye and keep on testing (starting over), I'm really sick of people claiming that Tixati does report incorrect values without any kind of proof or results, just trying to get to the bottom of it.
by ZarkBit on 2016/04/21 07:02:17 PM    
OK, after weeks of testing I have to say, Tixati does not report bad data, so far everything matches up.
by andarcavar on 2018/01/22 06:08:58 PM    
All due respect, tixati is the only one client I ever used which is sending wrong data to the tracker.
Even the latest version 2.56. That's why We consider to ban this client.
This is so wrong, you can see in this snatched list 2 snatchers using tixati with the same problem:

(pic removed by mod and sent to devs)
by Guest on 2018/02/08 11:54:06 PM    
Hi devs and mods, do these accusations by andarcavar have any basis?
We consider to whitelist the this client because we haven't experienced any bad behaviour.
by Pete on 2018/02/10 02:20:36 AM    
I have tested Tixati a few years ago and I found it reports downloaded and uploaded statistics properly. I use Tixati on two private trackers for about four years with no problem. However there were two Tixati versions with a bug around 2013, that in some circumstances resulted in wrong values reported to a http tracker. That was fixed years ago.

The screen was removed so it's hard to say what is the problem.

This web site is powered by Super Simple Server