Help and Support
Ask a question, report a problem, request a feature...
<<  Back To Forum

Alternative to renaming unfinished torrent files

by Guest on 2016/03/14 02:23:58 AM    
I have a suggestion. Not only I, but others have requested that we have an option to have unfinished files given a different extension for unfinished files. Recently, I spent HOURS sorting unfinished files, that could have been sorted out in minutes, if the unfinished files had a different extension. For whatever reasons, you are reluctant to offer this. I am certain that many utorrent users would gladly switch, if this were available. In fact, after what I just went through, I was very tempted to go back myself! However, I have an idea that should be compatible to you, and solve my problem too. The big issue is the separation of unfinished files and finished files. If files, as they are finished, were automatically transferred to the final destination, the problem would be solved. I know you already have in place coding to access separated files, so I am thinking it would be a pretty simple job to go ahead and separate them as they become available. It would also help solve another problem. A torrent with a lot of files takes a VERY long time to transfer to a finished directory on a different drive. It also causes Tixati to slow down quite a bit. Transfers stop and start repeatedly. I keep my downloading files on a SSD and transfer them to either another SSD or HD. Doesn't even matter going from SSD to SSD. It still stops. I think by doing it a little at a time, it would help prevent the disconnections and keep the speed up. BTW, I am running a 4GHz, 8 Core, AMD, with 32GB memory, with 64 bit Windows.
by BMu33 on 2016/03/14 04:03:57 PM    
I'm not trying to argue against your request but I am curious as to why you have so many incomplete files. If you're planning to only get some files from a torrent why not turn the others off when you load the torrent so that the files are never created?

In the mean time this method might help you to sort the completed files:

http://imgur.com/a/YmZgV
by Guest on 2016/03/14 07:54:23 PM    
I had a torrent with many files in many separate directories. All the seeds abandoned the torrent and left it with many unfinished files. I have seen this happen many times. Also, I have started many torrents with files that I knew may never finish, but wanted what I could get. You ask why d/l the files in the first place? I still have to go through them one by one, but when I start the torrent, I have no idea what files will complete. So how do I know what to start? It is still much easier to have them sorted some way or another, by the program.
by Guest on 2016/03/14 08:03:45 PM    
I just now checked your suggestion. That is what I did. It still took hours to go through all the files. This torrent was very large, but I still spend a lot of time sorting through unfinished files, even with the smaller torrents. I hate to think of all the wasted time, when you could fix this for me. Also, I know that I am not alone. I have seen torrents similar to this, some with hundreds of people hoping to get something out of them. One, that I helped finish, by locating missing files from various places, had at least 150 unfinished peers. Lucky this one finished. I have over 30 unfinished torrents with over 30,000 files that need to be sorted! I have kept them for months, hoping more will finish, or that I can find replacements. I also try to help other peers finish what they can from them.
by BMu33 on 2016/03/15 07:04:02 AM    
Makes sense when dealing with a dead torrent, if you're trying to salvage whatever you can from it. I've never really had that situation, but I imagine it is more common when dealing with the gigantic mega-torrents you describe.

you can fix this for me
No I can't, I am not a tixati developer, I'm just a random internet guy like you.

This web site is powered by Super Simple Server