Help and Support
Ask a question, report a problem, request a feature...
<<  Back To Forum

Change file location to a read-only directory

by Guest on 2016/03/06 11:49:22 AM    
Hi, I'm on 2.34

Wanted to note a bug and maybe a suggestion:

1)
I downloaded a file for several days with just 1 seeder...
epic download here because the seeder started to seed at
normal/acceptable speed rates
but then after 4-5 minutes later it somehow decided to reduce
download rate to 4kbs. At this rates it would take several days.

So after several attemps I tried a script in shell to start tixati
wait for 5 minutes, kill the process and start again (a loop).
It worked to "force" the download. It took 4 hours.

I don't know what was happening here, and why the seeder would decide
to cap the download after some minutes. It was a utorrent seeder, btw,
a tracker actually. I just post this situation here because, maybe
this is a recurring situation, and maybe tixati could improve something
to act accordingly.

2) (with due respect..., read between the lines because there could be several "bugs" in here... or maybe not...)

Anyways, the bug related to the post title has to do with the same
file in 1) case. After 100% download I deleted the transfer (but not
the precious file), then I moved it to another directory (with
the filemanager, not with tixati) and changed permissions to read-only
(file and directory).

I wanted to seed this file, so tried the move-location option but
the selection dialog disallows the OK button on read-only directories.

This is a nearly full disc so the least thing I want to do I duplicate
the file in the 'incomplete' directory. Then tried putting a link
in the 'incomplete' directory and tixati tries the move to complete
directory and fails with 'permission errors'.

Another try: kill tixati, put the link now in 'complete' directory,
start tixati but it doesn't recognize the link as the completed file and
it just says the file is in 0%, recreating the blank file in the 'incomplete' directory.

After previous try:
What would happen if I move file location (with location selector) to
the 'complete' directory? (Remember there is a 0% blank file in 'incomplete' and a link to the 100% file in 'complete)

There appears a dialog with 'merge',
'rename', 'skip' options. I think 'merge' is the path to go, right?
Or maybe another clever option to check this kind of cases.
Anyways, the merge function fails with
'unable to open file:' then in my system language settings (spanish)
the message continues with  'file or directory doesnt exists (2)'

This happened.

* Just to note I did this very same attempt with another torrent
to seed a file putting a link
to the real file (with ro permissions on a ro directory) in the 'complete'
directory and tixati did recognized my intention here. Why this
file was detected as being 100% but the previous file wasnt?

** If there is something of value to the developers to improve tixati
I have no problem to help in reproducing more clearly the cases
by Bugmagnet on 2016/03/07 05:52:35 AM    
I won't get into the 2nd issue for now. But the first issue I think needs some reply.

If I understand what you are saying, what you are doing with your script is generally considered abusive and exploits a normal function of the bittorrent protocol. What you are doing with a script was built into a despised torrent client long ago that had a poor reputation and was widely banned because it was intentionally designed to unfairly cheat, to game the system for selfish reasons.

BitComet disconnects and reconnects to download more than is fair via optimistic unchoke -- (which is meant to give new arrivals something to share. Sadly, Azereus is reported to do this too. Automatically droping working connections is hostile activity -- it creates lots of churn which costs extra bandwidth for trackers and peers alike.

Bittorrent is designed to send an initial burst to new connections, to "optimistically unchoke", trusting the receiving client will play nice and start resharing what it has received. The practice of intentionally disconnecting and reconnecting will foil this design based on trust. I am sure that now that you know this, you will want to show yourself as a trustworthy person, being respectful of others right?
by BMu33 on 2016/03/07 04:45:25 PM    
@ bugmagnet

The bitcomet behaviour you describe isn't really relevant here, because he said there was only one seeder, and that he was always unchoked anyway. So encouraging an optimistic unchoke is pointless and wouldn't change anything

@ op

Here is what I think happened based on what you described:

1) You had a completed file in directory A.

2) You used file manager to move that file to another directory B, and made it read-only.

3) Now you want to seed the file. Tixati thinks it still should be in directory A, but you have moved it, so when tixati looks in A for the file, it sees nothing and thinks it has to start a new file all over again.

4) You try to use the "Location -> Move" to show tixati where the file is, but since tixati thinks it need to start a new file, it needs write access, but you have made it read-only so it cannot.

5) Now you put a link from the read-only file in B to A. Then you ask tixati to move the (fake, symbolic) file from A to the real file in B. Obviously it cannot do this, it cannot move a file onto itself. This is absurd, like a snake eating its own tail.

To achieve what you want to do, you must use tixati to move the file, then make it read-only. Tixati will know where the file is and that it is completed, so it will not need to move it or write it or anything. I just tried this and it works, you can seed files that have been made read-only.

To repair the existing torrent that you are confused with, keep the completed file in the read-only directory. Remove the torrent from tixati, and delete the 0% blank file. Now open the torrent again as if you are starting a new torrent, but change the "downloading location" to the location of the completed file, and change the "move on complete" to "no move on complete". Tixati will check the file, see that it is already complete, and start seeding.
by Guest on 2016/03/07 10:50:47 PM    
it was 1 seeder and 1 leecher (me), who else would bittorrent protocol expect me to share with?
by HandyMan on 2016/03/08 06:42:11 PM    
This is why I request to add a feature to "Relocate" instead of "moving" a torrent : http://forum.tixati.com/support/2294/

The only workaround is to delete the original torrent and reload it pointing to the new location.

This web site is powered by Super Simple Server