Help and Support
Ask a question, report a problem, request a feature...
<<  Back To Forum

Is tixati abusiving towards DNS servers?

by Guest on 2016/02/13 03:09:19 AM    
The moment I start tixati, portable version, the dns server starts to not responding and little to no downloading and seeding. All peers "Timed out connection". This only happens with tixati.

When I start qbittorrent and add the torrent. dns server is fine. Downloads torrent in under a minute. Seeding also works great.

This is an issue I've had before with older versions of tixati but I just thought it was nothing but I can't ignore the pattern any longer since it have gotten really bad now.

I like tixati but I can't use it when it cause this every time. Doesn't matter how long I have it open. All peers still "Timed out connection". No downloading or very little downloading. It barely seeds.

What changed in tixati?

I've checked the firewalls. No problem there.

Do you have any suggestion of what to check or test next?

At the moment I'm back to using qbittorrent because it "just works" as tixati did before.
by Napsterbater on 2016/02/16 10:36:31 PM    
Sounds like the router is getting overloaded. As Peer timing out have nothing to do with DNS, peers are based on IPs not hostnames.

Make/Model of router pls.
by Guest on 2016/02/17 03:52:15 PM    
That's weird. Using qBittorrent I can max out my broadband speed 100% and it goes up to that speed with in 5-10 seconds. No DNS problem.
I can without any problem keep my speed maxed out and surf. Can keep it maxed out for hours.

Windows 7 network diagnostic say it's the DNS server that's not responding.
The other reason is that I've had this issue before with the DNS without using torrent protocol. Suddenly it would stop working. I could read emails, watch youtube or netflix. No pattern before. I haven't had that issue in over a year. Now however there is a pattern the moment I start tixati.

I know it's not the best one but this is what my broadband service provider sent to me so it should work. Using cable for maximum speed and stability (and the wifi is completely useless).
ZyXEL P-2601HN-F1

Looking through the tixati. It's not much I can configure. Something that I've always missed.
If the settings are funky in tixati there's not much I can do about it.

Any help would be appreciated.
by Guest on 2016/02/18 02:13:51 PM    
"this is what my broadband service provider sent to me so it should work" -> not necessarily, and in fact it's often the other way around:

ISP-supplied routers are often on the bottom side of performance, both because the ISP can get cheaper routers that way, and also because it's in the ISP interest for their average customer to not be able to take full advantage of their contracted speeds or to be able to use things such as P2P in full. Many ISPs hard-wire certain settings in their routers and carry on other practices so as to cause as much obstacle to the customer in using P2P as possible, such as disabling uPnP by default and blocking certain ports, hiding and blocking router settings, using their own routers security options to deliberately contravene P2P traffic, capping speeds of P2P-related protocols, and so on. This way, the minority of tech-savvy users who can get around these obstacles get to use their connections in full, but not the mainstream users, which globally means less traffic and bandwidth usage for the ISP and hence more profit.

I once used one of such low-tier routers which I had to forcibly reboot every few days as it got easily overwhelmed with connections and couldn't flush them properly after a while, impacting Internet usage noticeably. After a while I got tired and replaced it with a router of my choice after reading some online reviews, and all such troubles were gone overnight.

There is no relation between torrenting and DNS, other than the possibility that your router is bottlenecked with a high number of simultaneous connections, to the point of impairing HTTP (web) browsing performance, which again lead us to the above. Your Windows 7 error seems like a bogus OS acting up or some local software malfunction to me. ARE you actually using your own OS built-in DNS server, instead of external DNS servers ? Because if you aren't, then why would you have a DNS server service running at all, other than to bloat the system and cause problems like the one you described ? If you don't need it, disable it, the same as with any other OS service.

All of the above is hardly related to any specific bittorrent client, but instead with your system's (router, or OS, or both) inability to handle many simultaneous connections.

This web site is powered by Super Simple Server