Help and Support
Ask a question, report a problem, request a feature...
<<  Back To Forum

Settings for upload and download help

by Guest on 2016/02/02 09:09:47 PM    
I'm not too sure what settings I can use without completely slowing down the connections.

I've looked at 'Optimizing Tixati' but I've never been that good at maths, and can't work out what settings I should have.

I have:

Download of: 52.6 Mbps
Upload of: 15.69 Mbps

When downloading, what speed could I use without slowing down my connections too much?
If for instance I was not using the internet for anything but downloading, could I set it at: 52 Mbps?

As for Uploading could someone work out what I could set this at without slowing down my connection too much?

Thanks
by Bugmagnet on 2016/02/03 04:46:14 AM    
First convert to kilobits, then kiloBYTES as that is what Tixati uses for bandwidth control:

Download of: 52.6 Mbps  = ~53,000 kb/s
Upload of: 15.69 Mbps  = ~16,000 kb/s

The suggested 'ballpark' starting point is 70% of your upload capacity.  15.69 x 70% = ~11 mb/s = ~ 11,000 kb/s Then convert that into bytes by dividing by 8 to ~1400 kB/s -- kiloBYTES/s which is what Tixati uses for bandwidth controls.

The math is easy. But the reality is very different. All you can do is watch the graphs and adjust as needed. Available CPU resources and the number of connections being processed and number of active torrents will affect this as will any outgoing router throughput capacity and buffer size.

I have had to lower my outgoing limit to as low as 25% of available capacity to maintain download speeds. It is simple to test, change, observe, change again etc.

The download limit is not as critical but does need to be set for some other functions to work properly. I'd set it to about 40000 kb/s and forget it, as long as it is your dedicated BW. If you are sharing ISP service connections with others, you can find a limit that is fair to them by not hogging all capacity.
by Guest on 2016/02/03 04:48:28 PM    
Thanks for your detailed reply.

This web site is powered by Super Simple Server