Help and Support
Ask a question, report a problem, request a feature...
<<  Back To Forum

Feature request. Automatet prioritizing

by Guest on 2016/01/21 11:03:02 AM    
Can u add an option to set priorities in file (or torrent) list automatically. Highest priority to 1st file (torrent) in list, lowest to last.
by Bugmagnet on 2016/01/21 06:26:25 PM    
are you looking for something different than:

Transfers -> Layout -> Sortable View ??
by Guest on 2016/01/22 09:52:27 AM    
Yes, for example, i have a torrent with 20 files. I want download file in order, one by one (usually I manually set priorities from highest (1st file) to lowest (last one), but if files too much its having a lot of time), so I want an option to prioritizing it automatically. Something like this: add torrent, in start window check the files what i need, and set an option for prioritizing, or on running torrent in file list, select a files and choose an option which sets priorities to selected files  (from highest to lowest). Also the same option will be useful in torrent list (new torrents added with lower priority than existing ones (downloading).
p.s. Sorry my English (not my native language).
by Guest on 2016/01/23 04:46:14 AM    
uTorrent has that, and it's really a timesaver. Select a few files from the torrent contents, right-click, choose auto-priority or some such, and they are all auto-assigned priorities from high to low in order.
by Bugmagnet on 2016/01/23 05:29:19 PM    
i misunderstood in my first post. ignore that.

What is being suggested, to "add an option to set priorities in file (or torrent) list automatically. Highest priority to 1st file (torrent) in list, lowest to last" seems contrary to the purpose of the torrent protocol.

The slight advantage of having access to some of the complete files first will likely be offset by a delay in completing all of them because of forcing an inefficient method for downloading. The thing that makes torrents work is that such priority is not allowed. The data is spread among users at random and gathering the full set of files is better insured this way. If everyone assigned this first to last priority, then you would have lots of users with part 1 and few if any with part 20.

"I want download file in order, one by one (usually I manually set priorities from highest (1st file) to lowest (last one)," - I understand you want that but don't understand why when I think it is detrimental to the efficient way the torrent protocol was designed to work.

"...but if files too much its having a lot of time), so I want an option to prioritizing it automatically. Something like this: add torrent, in start window check the files what i need, and set an option for prioritizing, or on running torrent in file list, select a files and choose an option which sets priorities to selected files (from highest to lowest)." - On the few occasions where you really need/want a particular file first, then that has to be a manual choice. No automated program could predict that properly and this feature, though allowed by Tixati, should be used sparingly so as to not impair the efficiency of the swarm.

"Also the same option will be useful in torrent list (new torrents added with lower priority than existing ones (downloading)." - Now this is something to be considered. I would like to see such an option in Tixati that would dynamically assign and change download priority based on the age of the torrent. The longer it has been loaded and not completed indicates a lack of seeds and therefore should be given the highest priority so that IF a seed ever comes online, which might be for just minutes or hours, then everything else should be put on standby (with much lower priority) to take advantage of the small window of opportunity that has opened. The option to have {x} Oldest First priority automatically would be excellent.

"p.s. Sorry my English (not my native language)." - I am sorry for that too. As far as I know, I never had any English ancestors but have been forced to speak that colonial, imperial language. "Language is the tool of empire."

This web site is powered by Super Simple Server