Help and Support
Ask a question, report a problem, request a feature...
<<  Back To Forum

sorry if this has been mentioned before....

by Guest on 2016/01/02 12:18:53 AM    
or if it is unfeasable

when tix encounters a new tracker to save to a tracker list
by Bugmagnet on 2016/01/03 03:21:21 PM    
On the pedantic level... it would be better to use a meaningful descriptive topic, such as in this case "Brainfart: Add new trackers to a list"
A concise description/summary of the subject matter of your post should be the topic. Topics like "Please help" are not so useful when others scan the list of topics to read or reply to. And no need to be sorry... unless you didn't bother to search prior posts for similar issues. Not easy since there is currently no search function built into the forum. But since google is all over this forum, a search by using "site:tixati.com list new tracker" might get some results. Hey.. it does but I don't have time to read all 69 hits.

Now to the substance of your post...I like the idea of an automated list for keeping track of trackers and their status.
When the status is "Host not found" such trackers could be disabled and rechecked perhaps each week/month to see if the tracker has been resurrected.
Maybe it could be rotated like the new auto-manage queue function.
When the results are "Connection refused", Timed out, etc...maybe this could be dynamically added to a temporary skip list. User might then be given an option to manually add them to the statis skip list or the auto-remove list so they are stripped from new torrents.

Another function might be to add a tracker limit. Other more knowledgeable than I have mentioned that there is little need or benefit to connecting to lots of trackers. If so, then maybe a limit like 5 active, working trackers could be supported. If there are 1000 open trackers, no need to connect to and hammer them all. This might be more of a concern for those seeding hundreds or thousands of torrents. That would seem to be a lot of announcing.

DHT for now does offer an alternative, and plans are afoot for some new sharing paradigm beyond torrents, but in the interim, yes some dynamic tracker listing and handling would seem to have some merit.
by loninappleton on 2016/01/06 11:53:32 PM    
+1

This seems like a useful idea.  I have little understanding of live or dead trackers and google for a current list and simply add that.
by Guest on 2016/01/07 03:27:18 AM    
I think its a good idea as well. I've been managing a skip list within Tix because even brand new torrents have dead trackers attached. Never mind the billions of older ones. Primarily, though, this can be easily alleviated by checking the "first working" box and just use that.

This web site is powered by Super Simple Server