Help and Support
Ask a question, report a problem, request a feature...
<<  Back To Forum

How to share transfers on dual-booted linux/windows?

by Guest on 2015/12/31 01:15:46 PM    
I have windows 7 dual booted with Linux mint cinnamon 17.3, with a shared "data" partition (ntfs)in between. I installed tixati (greatest torrenting app btw) on both successfully. I thought I can make it work on both systems to download and seed same stuff.  

So far I tried
Settings -> meta info -> "Open .torrent ... created or moved to this folder" and "save a .torrent file in this folder when a new transfer starts" in both OS set to same shared partition folder.  

Settings -> locations -> everything here having a path to the same folders (Default location, upon completion location, incomplete pieces location)

Settings -> Behavior -> disable "activate main window when new transfers are loaded" (I saw this advice somewhere)

After these changes I still have separate tixati transfers for both my OSs. Any other advice?
by cvbn on 2015/12/31 04:04:38 PM    
If you use Tixati portable edition, this is easy.

Just set up the portable edition in a folder that you can access from both Windows and Linux, and make sure your download folders are on the same drive with your Tixati folder (they are by default).

Inside the tixati_portable folder, it has an exe for Windows, and elf binaries for Linux.  They both load the same configuration (which is also stored in that same folder).  It works very well.

In portable mode, Tixati will convert the paths between the two operating systems, so as long as your download folder is on the same drive, it will seamlessly work on either OS.
by Guest on 2016/01/02 08:51:25 AM    
Thank you, your solution worked like a charm.
by ZarkBit on 2016/01/08 10:55:22 AM    
I have been playing with this portable mode, Windows/Linux, and whenever I change system Tixati will complain that it cannot find the path for the torrents, "Unable to open file: The network path was not found. (53)"

The torrents in question are scattered on another disk, separated from Tixati.

Any solution for this?
by Guest on 2016/01/08 11:16:54 AM    
Another thing, when change from Windows to Linux, every torrent comes back with a "File missing (Force check to override)" or "Unable to open file: No such file or directory (2)"

So, the only way this works is if Tixati is located on the same drive as the torrents loaded on it?
by Pete on 2016/01/08 08:26:14 PM    
I used symbolic links to point to other drives.
by ZarkBit on 2016/01/08 09:09:28 PM    
Thanks Pete, I'll give that a try.
by Guest on 2016/01/09 05:45:22 AM    
what are the pros and cons between hardlinks, symbolic links and junction points/links for this purpose?
by crashnburn on 2018/02/06 01:42:48 PM    
Was anyone able to make this work successfully? Still working in 2017 2018?

Please do share more details on how you've set it up. Thanks.
by Pete on 2018/02/08 07:34:38 PM    
I think you should use Tixati Portable, this way you'll get the same configuration on both systems. Use symbolic links in order to point Tixati paths to the same place. I used symbolic links like for example: /D: <- that was symbolic link named "D:" on root, pointing to the drive mounted somewhere else on Linux file system. On Windows it was just D:\ drive.

This web site is powered by Super Simple Server