Help and Support
Ask a question, report a problem, request a feature...
<<  Back To Forum

Ignoring non-sharing peers

by Redenegue on 2015/12/25 04:34:30 PM    
Recently I was stuck at 99% on a torrent. There were 3 other peers and we totaled 100%. But, the other 3 peers were not sharing, so I was never going to finish. I ignored them all. Then I went down my list of torrents and was shocked at how many peers were snubing other peers. I probably ignored hundreds of these asses, but I would really like to have an option in Tixati to automatically ignore all non-sharing peers. I certainly do not want to share with these selfish peers, and would rather enjoy sharing with those who also share. If this could be widely implemented, it could force a lot of peers to share, as well as take.
by Guest on 2015/12/29 10:14:59 PM    
how exactly did you determine they are not sharing? maybe they have all upload slots used and you just did not make it, or hundred other reasons

not to mention ignore is not banlist, makes no difference if you go and ignore hundreds of peers if they already have the content, its not global
by Guest on 2015/12/30 08:04:40 PM    
There were 3 other peers. One sitting at 3%, one at 80%, and one somewhere in the 90s.
All total there was 100% including mine, which stood at 99%. I only lacked one piece.
For days my peer sat waiting for the last piece, it never came.
I did some experimenting, and found that 3% and 80% were not getting anything from anyone but me.
If I did not seed, they got nothing. So the 90+ guy and the 80% peers could not be sharing.
I did finally get 100%, but I think it came from a 100% seed that popped in and out every now and then.
After I determined what was going on. I started seeding the 3% peer.
Of course, I can not determine whether or not he is sharing with me or simply can not since I have 100%.

I have to admit that at first I did misunderstand about about the peers being full and not able to share to everyone.
It did not take long to figure out what was happening.
After looking around for a while, I realized some were trying to share.
That is why I went back and did the experimenting on the original torrent.
Even though it has been days now, 80% and 3% never got anything but from me.
And since I am only seeding 3%, 80% has gotten (and of course given) nothing from me or the 90% peer and probably not 3% who is now 39%.

Today I noticed a 42% came from somewhere and now 80% is 84%.
Also, now the 90+ peer is 99%.
This just happened recently. I haven't been able to keep up on them too closely, just had my appendix removed.

Well, the short story is that I am convinced that 84% and 99% are not sharing, and probably the 3%.
42% is probably seeding and the occasional 100%.

What makes this even worse, is the torrent is 9GB and no other 100% seeds.
That means I would have to upload far more than necessary to take care of everyone.
by Guest on 2015/12/31 07:36:14 PM    
you know, if they do not have forwarded ports/public ips they cannot connect to each other, maybe you are the only one with public ip, thus they can connect only to you, making you the bridge between them

you cant blame them, that's how it works, its pretty common since majority of peers do not have public ips

would not make sense, if they did keep torrent active and intentionally block sharing
by Guest on 2016/01/01 01:05:51 AM    
I can only say, I hope you are right.
Some of this, I admit is beyond me.
Its hard to believe so many can not share.
My own out going speed is drastically limited by my ISP.
So, I do have to pick and choose what is more necessary to seed.
But, still, I try to keep it going all the time.
As in this case, I am the only real source, so I will not leave anyone dangling.
But, at the moment, I only have one fully seeded torrent running.
The others need a lot of help, and I am stuck here, because there is so little sharing.

Thanks for your response. Hope you are having a great holiday season.
by cvbn on 2016/01/02 03:16:35 AM    
The tix devs need to create a new network outside of bittorrent to get this problem solved, there's just no way around it.  You need a universal network presence to really see what other people are "sharing".

This web site is powered by Super Simple Server