Help and Support
Ask a question, report a problem, request a feature...
<<  Back To Forum

Confused by some categories:  Standby

by loninappleton on 2015/12/09 09:07:00 PM    
I have a newer Win operating system now installed for Tixati use.  Under Win XP I had everything as desired.

In Win 7 ultimate I've installed the Win 32 196 and tried to work my way up through the ranks of upgrades.

There was a big editing job to do of deadwood torrents which I did manually by dragging all torrents to the new program in Win 7 from the HDD that has the XP program which has run for years.

In the new install "Standby" shows 'blue'.  That should mean inactive and waiting.  How do I simply get rid of that so I can manually inspect the torrent list?  What happens if I just remove it from Categories?  I get the idea that many of my torrents which should be active are not in this new setup.

I just want my original torrents and fileshared torrents to show 100%.

  Also there was a large number of "Queued"  items from those dead torrents (those which would never complete.) While those items were active,  mouse control went down to zero which I suppose was because of the program furiously trying to check things. I deleted those and control came back somewhat.

 How can I understand categories better?
by Bugmagnet on 2015/12/09 10:22:19 PM    
Last first: How can I understand categories better?  Practice :)  and study:  http://support.tixati.com/categories

There are 2 types of categories, Status and Normal. There are 8 pre-defined Status categories which can be seen when you open the ADD Category dialog and select (x) Status.

Normal categories are simply labels you create to organize your torrents and Tixati allows assigning several settings to each specific category, i.e. a different folder to store when done.  Again, see and explore the Add Category (x) Normal dialog.

Now onward...

You didn't indicate how many torrents you are dealing with but Tixati does have absolute limits for UL and DL slots, with an option to 'recycle' unused slots between these 2 so you could Seed up to 2000 total (if your resources can handle it).

To move torrents out of the queue or standby, all you need do is turn off the new and amazing "Auto-manage slots" function and then open more slots by manual setting.

There are issues still with 'mega-seeding' which are actively being worked out, after you sort out your torrents in Win 7 and you have several hundred torrents you want to seed, you might well re-enable 'Auto-manage slots' for UPloads. Then set Upload slots to 10-50 or so, experiment here. This will rotate through all your seeds, testing for existing demand and if none, those torrents get sent to standby until auto-tested again later.

http://support.tixati.com/transfer%20queue%20management
by Guest on 2015/12/10 02:55:58 AM    
My problem is I'm afraid to tamper with things in these categories.  I looked at the link but it didn't say what I needed to know before acting.

1.)  My old install has no Standby on it.  I don't know when or how I removed it but Standby is a new behavior of the program for my use.  My old install shows all entries except downloads as "Seeding"  This is the behavior of the program I want to see.  Standby looks like nearly all the entries are turned off but that's just me.

2.) If I delete the category Standby will I see most items as 'Seeding"  as in the previous install?  My worry is performing some mass deletion if I do anything before finding out.
by loninappleton on 2015/12/10 04:21:09 AM    
I'm still trying to puzzle this out.  Backtracking on my actions:

I first moved all the file folders and other non- torrent
individual files from my old install to a folder with the
same name on the new HD.  Thumbs.db  and any of that was checked to make sure it was off.

I saw that I had to move the torrent files stored in the folder named tixatidownloads manually.  Some were duplicates and some tried to restart and were deleted since I knew they were not going to complete.

The remaining torrents are 100% and when moved _went to Standby mode_ apparently rather than begin Seeding.  

How do I fix that?

Total content is just over 200 items
by Guest on 2015/12/10 06:28:53 AM    
Other thing I found that might be relevant is in Layout:

Where it says "Allow Drags to Status" in Layout is unchecked by default because I never messed with it or noticed it.  Would that function show Status as Standby if unchecked?

Also I'll look at the physical directory on that drive
for duplicates or other problems.  This Standby thing
affects all but four fileshares.  And at any one time a lot of mine are active on the old setup.  So I know something is wrong-- just can't find it.
by Guest on 2015/12/10 08:04:02 AM    
hey, just so you know, if you accidentally remove some of the top status categories, like Complete/Standby/Seeding/Downloading/Queued/Offline etc etc, you can always re-add them by clicking the little "+" plus button under the category list.  If you change the category type there is one that is for status categories, so you can get them back.

Also explore the status-filter-bar, it can be useful.  Can be activated from the layout menu.
by loninappleton on 2015/12/10 06:08:30 PM    
After reading the
categories tutorial I'm still making mistakes.

Example:  At a category such as Standby, a right click
only shows options to remove and three others, two of which are greyed out as inactive, not the info screen with tabs shown in the tutor.  That info screen only appears when creating a category. The point is that categories is over written or unclear.

And I'm using a much older edition -- 1.96 on that setup.

This can't be that complicated:

I dragged my torrents to the Tixati transfers window.  Those all show Standby.  How do I start them seeding? If it's some mode to change in the Category I don't know what it is.
by loninappleton on 2015/12/10 06:26:20 PM    
This post from 2013 at least has something about it:

http://forum.tixati.com/support/6/

But I don't know the lingo.

If I give the exact number of standby items can you give me the settings needed?

I'm not even going to ask which ones because the problem has never come up for me before.
by Bugmagnet on 2015/12/10 07:08:27 PM    
I'd strongly suggest you update to v2.28.  Not many people still run v1.96 and lots has changed since. For one thing, the newer versions allow opening 2000 slots, not just 400 as in v1.96.  And the majority who have moved on can't easily replicate all the problems you might be experiencing with the venerable v1.96
by Guest on 2015/12/10 07:37:53 PM    
Backward help references as you say may be difficult.  It is a good point made.

But address what I just said previously:  What settings are needed for those 200 or so standby's?  In 2.28.

I can easily load that up.  But I'd like to get past the pedantic part of the discussion.  That's the one where you have to know this and that to get into the treehouse.  It's common in the Linux world and the reason I never learned it.

Example:  Pressing the plus key does not reestablish all categories just opens up a new fill in box to add something.
I tried that on my working edition of Tixati called 2.21 under XP.

These are things I've never touched before and when I do the behavior is different than what is expected.
by Guest on 2015/12/10 07:51:28 PM    
Just now I see how to add back the categories.  You left out two steps which means I was in the dark.  But that will do me no good at the moment.  

I want to get this right, so please, no shorthand.  I'm going to setup v2.28 to install over the 1.96.  We can start there.

Also I'm sure this will come up as guest again.  If I say automatic login, that should be it-- forever.
by loninappleton on 2015/12/10 09:21:34 PM    
Looking at the messages I see that there is more than one confused now.  ;-)

I have been working on getting this.  I have out my old Optimizing Tixati printout from 2012.  Have there been any drastic updates to that?

Anyway I have some progress.

1.)  I installed 2.28 x64 for my Windows 7 Ultimate as you suggested.

2.)  The Standby group was still there.

3.)  Went to Setup > Transfers > General.  The upload download slots showed single digits 4 and 3 respectively.
The autos were checked by default that you mentioned.

   My total un-categorized count is 190

I changed both Incoming and Outgoing transfers to 200.

This got rid of the Standby items being held "waiting for slots" or something you will know more about.  Yay.

I'm making a backup HD right away since my Tixati now appears to be healed and in the current edition.

 How should Optimization take place from here?  Should I leave those big numbers in Incoming and Outgoing transfers?

Years ago I found my bandwidth constraints and all of that.  My ISP service has not changed.

I am relieved that I will not have to do additional hand operations after a big edit from 366 (including all the dead wood) again.

Still don't know what checking the box called "Allow drags to status" is about.
by loninappleton on 2015/12/11 03:06:44 AM    
Just a follow up.  Thanks for all assistance.  I do have a further note.

I nearly had another Standby snafu but got out of it.  A newly added torrent went to standby when I reset which here means turned off all torrents in order to fully allow the new seed.

I got out of it with Settings for the item and checked Constant Seeding which kicked it out of Standby.

Right click item in list >  Rt click Seeding > Check Constant Seeding.  A plus sign appears next to item in list.

This web site is powered by Super Simple Server