Help and Support
Ask a question, report a problem, request a feature...
<<  Back To Forum

Bug: Tixati v2.28  - Doesn't Prevent System Suspend Mode

by Radish on 2015/12/09 01:25:11 PM    
Tixati v2.28 x64 Linux (Portable)

On another thread in this forum I read that Tixati is coded to automatically prevent systems from going into Suspend/Sleep Mode if uploading/downloading is active. This isn't working in Tixati v2.28. So assume there is bug.

It would be helpful if others could confirm if this is happening on their systems.
by Guest on 2015/12/11 07:21:15 AM    
The system is inhibited correctly by Tixati for me on Mint Cinnamon 17.2.

you can test this yourself on the cmd line by typing: dbus-send --print-reply --dest=org.gnome.SessionManager /org/gnome/SessionManager org.gnome.SessionManager.IsInhibited uint32:4

when tixati is not running:

jimmy@jimmy-VirtualBox ~ $ dbus-send --print-reply --dest=org.gnome.SessionManager /org/gnome/SessionManager org.gnome.SessionManager.IsInhibited uint32:4
method return sender=:1.0 -> dest=:1.54 reply_serial=2
   boolean false

when tixati is running:

jimmy@jimmy-VirtualBox ~ $ dbus-send --print-reply --dest=org.gnome.SessionManager /org/gnome/SessionManager org.gnome.SessionManager.IsInhibited uint32:4
method return sender=:1.0 -> dest=:1.57 reply_serial=2
   boolean true

the docs for the gnome session manager (which controls suspend inhibition, shutdown, and other things) is here: https://people.gnome.org/~mccann/gnome-session/docs/gnome-session.html#org.gnome.SessionManager.Inhibit

Also, if auto-shutdown is set to "Allow System Suspend" and you have no running transfers, the inhibition will go away correctly too.
by Radish on 2015/12/12 02:37:43 PM    
Tried what you suggest. Then did experiment and just left the system alone to see if Tixati would prevent Suspend Mode. Again it didn't work. Even with a transfer running the system goes into Suspend Mode according to time-out settings.

Despite what you are saying, Tixati is bugged in this respect.
by Guest on 2015/12/12 09:30:05 PM    
Are you sure you are not confusing your display shutting down (computer still running) with actual real suspend mode (computer goes to sleep, no network, no HD, no CPU or other activity) ?  Tixati is not supposed to prevent display shutdown, only actual suspend mode.

If Tixati is successfully executing the dbus calls, and you have verified this via the command line as suggested, then there is probably nothing that can be done within Tixati, and your Linux system is not working as it should.
by Radish on 2015/12/13 01:24:35 PM    
I am totally sure that the computer is going into suspend mode - I have tested this many times. The system is definitely going into sleep mode.

I have found that the only way to avoid this with Tixati running active transfers is to use the "Inhibit Applet" (which I normally use to prevent the display shutting down and/or sleep mode being invoked when I watch YouTube videos).

I understand what you are saying about the command. However, irrespective of the output, it is still the case that Tixati is not preventing the computer from going into sleep mode. What else can say? The computer is definitely going into sleep mode with active transfers running.
by KH on 2015/12/14 09:55:59 AM    
This is a confirmed bug in Mint.

Their session manager / power management is not recognizing flag '4', which means "Inhibit suspending the session or computer".

Their session manager only seems to recognize flag '8', which prevents the display going to sleep.  That is the flag that the power management applet uses to keep the display turned on.

Tixati is using the correct flag, 4, which is designated to prevent suspend but not prevent the screen from going idle.  This works correctly on other systems, just not Mint.

The way to fix this is to report the problem to the Mint developers, because the bug is completely on their end.  Unfortunately there is no work-around or anything else that can be done from here.
by Guest on 2015/12/14 12:46:04 PM    
you can confirm the way that utility pm applet works by typing dbus-send --print-reply --dest=org.gnome.SessionManager /org/gnome/SessionManager org.gnome.SessionManager.IsInhibited uint32:8

it returns true when the applet is blocking (flag 8 for screensaver idle)...

the only thing that would work around mint brokenness is making tixati do flag 8 and not 4, but that would not really work so good as keeping the screen alive is undersirable in many cases, and possibly screw up everyone else on non-mint linux.  this is a problem with mint and not tixati, it is a waste of precious time and brainpower to even consider it any further here

someone should simply file a bug report with mint and point at this thread
by Radish on 2015/12/14 12:56:02 PM    
Okay, thanks very much for the information. I will report it as a bug at GitHub for the Mint developers. Though first I'll have to try and find out what component of Mint I need to file the bug report under - it might get overlooked if it is reported under the wrong component category.

Thanks again.
by Radish on 2015/12/14 06:46:01 PM    
Bug reported to Mint and it looks like a fix is on the way. For anyone interested details are here:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon/issues/4933

Thanks for all the responses with good details.
by Guest on 2015/12/15 03:51:55 AM    
hey man thanks and good job on reporting that bug to the Mint devs  :) awesome
by Radish on 2016/04/04 12:56:29 PM    
I would just like to follow-up on this thread and report that Linux Mint has now released a fix that sorts out this bug in Linux Mint. On 21 March 2016 a series of Mint updates were released into the Linux Mint Update Manager. One of the updates in that batch of updates fixed this bug (at least on Mint 17.3 Cinnamon x64). To have the bug fix become operational the user would need to install those updates.

Note that this bug fix should fix this issue for all versions of Tixati, not just version 2.28 (I'm now running Tixati 2.34 and the Mint bug has been squashed in relation to that version too.)

Again, many thanks to the folks with expertise that commented on this and thus provided me with the correct information to contact the folks at Mint and report the bug in Linux Mint. Many thanks, greatly appreciated.  :o)

This web site is powered by Super Simple Server