Help and Support
Ask a question, report a problem, request a feature...
<<  Back To Forum

feature request: online help

by Guest on 2015/11/30 06:00:28 AM    
online help means help file that is included with software download, not internet-based help.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Online_help
by cvbn on 2015/11/30 11:56:15 AM    
Normally I would ignore such pedantic nonsense, but that wiki page doesn't even say anything close to what is claimed:

Online help is topic-oriented, procedural or reference information delivered through computer software. It is a form of user assistance. Most online help is designed to give assistance in the use of a software application or operating system, but can also be used to present information on a broad range of subjects. When online help is linked to the state of the application (what the user is doing), it is called Context-sensitive help.

"Delivered through computer software", in this context, can mean the web browser, just like it can also mean PDF viewer, or the Windows CHM viewer.  This definition does not specify that the information must be stored on the local machine.  In fact, it later states that "online help" can be also provided through internet chat with a live person.

But that does not even matter at all.  Developers don't make decisions based on "look look at what this one dictionary says".

Decisions are to be made in the real world, weighing the pros and cons.  And in this instance, it's plainly obvious that there's no practical benefit to include a pre-compiled help library along with the software.  None.

And the downside of using old-fashioned locally-stored help is that unlike the support wiki, information can not be updated, it is not user-editable, it is not as easily referred to when the program is not running/installed, and bloats out the installation.
by Guest on 2015/11/30 12:29:11 PM    
hahaha lower on that page it even mentions the using web-based help:

Other Platforms:

HelpConsole (local html files or web-based) IIS based system, with a standard navigation tree and content area, viewable with a web browser, supports JS, Flash, HTML5, Embedded presentations etc. Since it is web-based, it works on Windows, Linux, and virtually all other Operating System.

But, nevertheless, you bad bad bad developers should still include a standard .chm windows help file with your installation.  Because that's how it should be done.  Because.

And what if I am in the middle of nowhere with no internets and I need Tixati help, then I will never be able to figure out why my downloads aren't working.... oh wait...

This web site is powered by Super Simple Server