Help and Support
Ask a question, report a problem, request a feature...
<<  Back To Forum

[Feature Request] Automatic Queue drop on torrent inactivity

by Guest on 2015/11/25 12:23:27 AM    
First off, amazing program, been following every release and absolutely love it.

I sometimes download multiple torrents, and some of them are old, with low or maybe no seeds/peers at the moment. Would it be possible to add a feature where one could set an inactivity timeout limit on a download, and if that threshold is reached, the torrent goes down in the queue to free up a download slot for other queued torrents ?

Thank you for your continuing amazing work
by Guest on 2015/11/25 05:14:45 AM    
They already do something like this.  If your download bandwidth isn't being used, it will start more downloads from the queue, so you never starve.

It doesn't recycle dead downloads back into the queue, but if it's auto-starting, it doesn't matter much anyways, it will all download regardless.
by Guest on 2015/11/25 02:07:40 PM    
the auto queue management will open more slots if some downloads are inactive ... this happens slowly, but it does work

there's not much point re-queuing an inactive download, because it's not really consuming any resources just sitting there, and when someone finally comes along to seed it, you don't want to miss them (i have downloads that get activity only a few hours per week)
by Guest on 2015/11/29 05:29:52 PM    
I didn't know this happened, because I haven't seen it. I had some 4 "dead" torrents hold up a lot of other torrents, maybe because one of them was download a little 1kb/s every few seconds ?

Even then, it could be nice to have more control over it, something like being able to set a time of inactivity, a threshold of bandwith used (because a torrent that downloads at 1kb/s could be considered inactive.

I understand the idea that inactive torrent shouldn't go down the queue, but I think this could be an option as well, open up a new download slot or push it down the queue (You could also select the amount of slots it would go down if you so choose)
by Guest on 2015/11/30 08:10:56 PM    
Even then, it could be nice to have more control over it, something like being able to set a time of inactivity, a threshold of bandwith used (because a torrent that downloads at 1kb/s could be considered inactive.

You do have more control.  Go into Settings > Transfers > General, and look near "Auto-manage slots" there is a button marked "Details".

If you click that there are some settings in there, look at the first section "downloadautoskipqueue" and you can change numbers.  But be careful, and if you make mistake, use the Load Defaults button at bottom of this window.

But the default settings are good, you just need to give enough time.

Also, very importantly you need to have the bandwidth incoming throttle set, or using the auto-limit.  That is how the queue knows when there is more download ability, because you aren't against throttle.  So make sure you have bandwidth auto-limit or you set an incoming limit.
by Guest on 2015/12/01 12:44:09 AM    
Oh nice, thank you!

This web site is powered by Super Simple Server