Help and Support
Ask a question, report a problem, request a feature...
<<  Back To Forum

Not responding problem (seems different to everyone elses)

by Guest on 2015/11/24 05:58:08 AM    
I've been using Tixati on and off for years without updating it until recently. So until about a month or so ago I had no problems (using an old version, 1. something or other) and then suddenly it started not responding all the time. The thing which makes it different from usual is that I could no longer close it using the task manager, which previously I had always been able to do before then. To get rid of it I had to restart the computer.

I hadn't changed any settings and it had been working fine for, like I said, years before that.

Anyway last week I uninstalled it and decided to download the latest version. It worked temporarily but now its doing exactly the same thing, not responding and not allowing me to close it even from the task manager.

Also, to make things more complicated, this issue started when I was living in the UK. Now I'm in China using a VPN. Like I said, the problem started before I came to China, its just something to consider.

If anyone could help me out I'd appreciate it.

-DiggBik
by Guest on 2015/11/24 01:29:47 PM    
if the task manager is unable to close a program, the process might be getting trapped in a system call (file system i/o or network i/o perhaps)

maybe you have some bad drivers or failing drive / network?

or maybe a bad stick of ram?

just guesses
by Redscorpian on 2015/11/25 11:11:10 AM    
Since the update to v2.27 mine has continuously been 'not responding' too. It doesn't seem connected to any event but this morning it was making my screen whiten periodically (frozen) and it happened every time I selected anything. Closed and re-opened it but was still the same. It was fine until this update and is used very regularly so I'd have seen it before if it was happening frequently.

Any help?
by Guest on 2015/11/25 02:01:38 PM    
Since the update to v2.27 mine has continuously been 'not responding' too. It doesn't seem connected to any event but this morning it was making my screen whiten periodically (frozen) and it happened every time I selected anything. Closed and re-opened it but was still the same. It was fine until this update and is used very regularly so I'd have seen it before if it was happening frequently.

Judging by the changelog, it may just be a coincidence that your troubles started around the time you upgraded to 2.27.  Most of the changes had to do with categories feature this time.

I have it running on several machines and didn't find any new problems upon upgrade.

The only thing I can suggest is to check your hard-drives because I've seen this sort of thing happen before failure (read delays will hang a program for seconds here and there.)  Tix does it's disk i/o synchronously and flushes writes to disk, so if the disk is having difficulties it will cause a pause in execution.

You could also check the File Diagnostic Log in the help menu > diagnostic tools to see if any filesystem calls are being delayed for long amounts of time.
by Guest on 2015/11/25 06:33:55 PM    
The hard drive is relatively new, has plenty of space and is only in use when either downloading (with Tixati) or watching media as it is set to power down when not in use so I'm not figuring it's that as it works fine when I do use it. It was defragged yesterday too. The file log you refer to isn't specifically by that name and there are several so which are you referring to exactly? The 'File Operation Log' is available but not readable while active as I've scrolled to the top and the bottom and both are constantly changing so I guess it has limits on how much is available to see at any given time.
by Guest on 2015/11/29 09:28:34 AM    
if the task manager is unable to close a program, the process might be getting trapped in a system call (file system i/o or network i/o perhaps)

maybe you have some bad drivers or failing drive / network?

or maybe a bad stick of ram?

Any of that could be true. What do I do to try and fix any of those things?
by Bugmagnet on 2015/11/29 06:13:46 PM    
for problems closing a hung program, I find TaskInfo very useful. It has options to do a clean close, by telling the ap to shut down but if that fails, it has a "Terminate" command which works *most* of the time for me. I don't actually recall it ever failing to kill a non-responding program in the 10+ years I have used it.

It is also very useful for detecting hidden malware that might be running on your system, some of which I understand have been designed to be invisible to MS TaskManager.

get it from the author at http://www.iarsn.com/taskinfo.html

This web site is powered by Super Simple Server