Help and Support
Ask a question, report a problem, request a feature...
<<  Back To Forum

Time for Tixati to move to Gtk-3*

by jo-shva on 2015/11/15 10:54:43 AM    
Tixati in Linux is looking old kinda wind98ish.  I am asking the devs to port to gtk3 and use the new options available to modernize its look and feel.  I love this program but it looks tired next to everything else on Gnome.
Please take this into consideration.  Much appreciated Jo-shva
by Guest on 2015/11/15 06:27:07 PM    
GTK-3 it will kill the Tixati GUI regarding memory usage. GTK3 i find still bloated, we must have 8GB to use safe GTK-3 layout.

Also GTK3 have to much transitions from version to version.

GTK2 is perfectly stable and lighter.

...Or Devs let make it using both GTK2/3.
by Guest on 2015/11/16 07:28:50 AM    
...Or Devs let make it using both GTK2/3.

Is that even possible to do in the same executable file?  I think they would have to distribute a binary that links to the gtk2 libs, and then a different one that links to the gtk3 libs.  Unless they can do on-the-fly runtime linking, but I don't think that would be easy.

The OP should check to make sure he is using the 64-bit version, because both 64 and 32 work on my Fedora Mate system, but the 32 bit one looks like windows 95 because I only have 64-bit themes installed.
by Guest on 2015/11/16 08:05:28 AM    
Try switching your theme, you may be using an odd one is not gtk-2 compatible.
by Radish on 2015/11/16 12:07:47 PM    
Tixati in Linux is looking old kinda wind98ish.

I completely disagree. I like the way Tixati looks as it stands - it's really nice. This is really nothing more than you trying to push your own sense of aesthetics onto everyone else.

Please don't change the overall look of the GUI - Tixati looks really good as it is.

Alternatively, maybe, over time, Tixati could down the route of giving users some choice of GUI appearance. But I'd put that down as a very low priority
by Guest on 2015/11/16 03:49:07 PM    
The other thing to consider is that all the desktops that use gtk are moving to gtk3. Gnome of course, Xfce has several apps and its panel that have moved to Gtk3. MATE has created a full gtk3 desktop environment that is nearing stability. LXDE has merged with Razor and uses QT now, and that only really leaves Openbox which will use whatever you want it to.  Its time to move forward and move to gtk3.
by Guest on 2015/11/16 06:00:30 PM    
Is that even possible to do in the same executable file?

DeaDBeeF audio player have made it in a same executable file.
I used once this player that have both features on his config, Enough to chose what you like GTK2/3.
by Guest on 2015/11/16 07:33:08 PM    
you shouldn't value fancy look over superb functionality

you may be interested in

pipedot.org/story/2014-07-09/the-future-of-gtk

igurublog.wordpress.com/2014/03/22/gtk-3-10-drops-menu-icons-and-mnemonics/

igurublog.wordpress.com/2012/11/05/gnome-et-al-rotting-in-threes/
by jo-shva on 2015/11/17 11:33:16 AM    
Every post you listed is a complaint blog. And old ones at that Gtk3.4 Gtk3.10.  One whines about the missing menu icons, that can be turned back on in dconf-editor.  So whats the problem...it isn't gtk2 which you are accustomed to.  "you shouldn't value fancy look over superb functionality", are you suggesting that the Devs for Tixati are incapable of creating a Gtk3 ui with the same superb functionality that we have all come to expect? I truly hope not. As for my pushing my aesthetics on everyone, well thats plain silly.  But I will give you that I am a theme designer for Gtk and have been since before Gtk3.  So maybe I see the whole picture, I have to create a cohesive one for themes after all.  Gtk3 is designed to work on a desktop and tablet.  Tixati can have a truly innovative and powerful ui in Gtk3. People fear change especially with their computers.  How many people were desperately holding on to WinXP while Win7 was already out.  Its fear of the unknown, of change, and of something new; maybe even a learning curve.  Every app will change to Gtk3 that is just how its going to happen like it or not.  You dont see many Gtk1 apps being used these days, do you?  "I like the way it looks now" wow, thats an I wont change from WinXP excuse if I ever heard one.  Tixati needs to move forward and Gtk3 is the new Gnome-Toolkit.  Gtk2 is frozen and only receiving minor fixes to the api.  It is intended and scheduled to become defunct. like it or not.  And if you hate Gtk3 so much there are plenty of Desktops that use Qt. I suggest you consider, or just make the move.  Embrace the future, Don't Fear it!
by Guest on 2015/11/17 09:19:40 PM    
gnome 3 was such a disaster when it came out

they trashed the workflow and UX, it was soooo bad

it no wonder people throw-up inside their mouth a little when they hear gnome3 mentioned

but that was a few years ago, eventually gtk3 will need to be implemented... and if MATE desktop is migrating that way, then it probably time for Tixati to start looking toward that too

also maybe a kde interface would be nice, but obviously these are long-term goals
by Guest on 2015/11/18 07:41:31 AM    
Gnome 3 is terrible slow and buggy, please do not make Tixati GTK3 application. Thank you
by Guest on 2015/11/18 02:06:55 PM    
"Gnome 3 is slow and buggy."
When was the last time you used Gnome?  They have worked out most of the bugs and as for being slow, well if you have a laptop/computer made in the last 5yrs it isn't.
Gtk3 and Gnome3 are not the same thing!  Gnome3 is a desktop environment, Just like Xfce4 or KDE.  
Gtk3 is the Gimp-Tool-Kit get it GTK, it is the ui fully used by Gnome3, partially used by Xfce4, and as of 11-05-2015 MATE vs 1.12, MATE is a Gtk3.18 Desktop Environment, (I haven't forgotten Cinnamon, but they are using a really old version of gtk; Gtk-10, I have know idea why when Gtk is at 18.)  In other words Gtk3 is not Gnome3 exclusive but just like Gtk2 was,Gtk3 is the current tool-kit. And it is stable enough for these other desktops to begin using it.  Think about it.
I wonder if this much controversy surrounded the move from Gtk1 to Gtk2?
by Guest on 2015/11/18 03:09:30 PM    
Just for fun I dug up some old Gtk1 to Gtk2 threads and here is what they had to say:

"Just because GTK1 is no longer developed doesn't mean applications based on it aren't! Also GTK2 is buggy, bloated, and ugly(-er than GTK1). GTK2 apps are also memory and CPU hogs (if you don't believe me, try running the newest GIMP on a P][ with 256MB RAM)." - Debian User Forums by lolanoob

Why Migrate from GTK to FLTK (CinePaint) "Some have the opinion that switching GUI toolkits is too hard or not worthwhile. Others disagree. Nobody actually knows, including me. There hasn't been a major open source project that changed GUI toolkits since GIMP migrated from X11 to GTK1 in 1996. In hindsight everyone agrees that was a good move, but it isn't clear that it relates today.
Everyone could be glad someone is stepping forward to put it to the test, to find out exactly what's involved and what the consequences are. How hard is it really? Are there any extra capabilities in GTK2 that I would ever miss? Actually doing it is the way to find out. Then everyone could base opinions on something more than supposition."

"GTK (Gimp toolkit) is possibly the most common toolkit used by linux graphical applications for their interface. Earlier GTK was known for is speed and lightness, and this is very true about GTK1 programs, they are light and have a fast and snappy interface.
However, GTK2 seems to be comparitively much slower, and applications built around it are much slower than GTK1 applications. Mozilla runs faster than firefox and so on ... very few GTK2 apps (like GAIM) run quickly, the others just appear bloated." - digit Forum by ujjwal

I hope you enjoyed this quick trip to the pasts where Gtk1 was replaced by a "bloated buggy ugly" Gtk2.

Welcome to the 22nd century! & Gtk3!
by jo-shva on 2015/11/21 09:04:03 AM    
To the devs of Tixati:  I hope that you will take full advantage of the new possibilities that Gtk3 has to offer when you design your Gtk3 version of Tixati.  I have been disappointed when an app makes the change to Gtk3 and simply clones its Gtk2 ui.  I am sure that you can design something innovative and imaginative.  And I look forward to Tixati Gtk3 to be available in the near future.  Thank you for you time and the wonderful app!
by Guest on 2015/11/21 01:29:58 PM    
Matter of preference, for me GNOME3 it is bloatware plague just like Unity of Ubuntu.

I just prefer to control my Debian (bare-bone netinst), not GNOME do it for me.

You know... Linux is not trend or fashion, Linux / Debian offer freedom, freedom to chose, make "build" "we make , we build" not GNOME.
If Tixati one day doesn't provide support for GTK2 in future, ofcourse i'll chose other GUI to do it.

Sorry i don't use GIMP currently or before, Have used a few GTK3 applications years ago, i haven't been satisfied by the weak performance of this DE or applications using this layout.

Sorry i don't follow the GNOME trend since a year.
Tixati devs are free to do what they want with their project, to make support for GTK3 or both.

I can count 1000 reason why GTK3 is worse than GTK2 but this is not the right place.
I'm for both support anyway.

This web site is powered by Super Simple Server