Help and Support
Ask a question, report a problem, request a feature...
<<  Back To Forum

Bug(?): Tixati 2.25 Scheduler and Auto-Shutdown Conflict

by Radish on 2015/11/14 02:29:59 PM    
Tixati v2.25 Portable
Windows 7 SP1 x64

I wanted to download, and then seed, some torrents overnight. I also knew that the seeding would finish at some time during the night - so I wanted to auto-shutdown Tixati once the seeding was completed.

I set up the torrent list so that it was all loaded - but the torrents were not 'Started'. Then I setup the scheduler to 'Start' the torrents at 23:00 (hours).

Having done that I then setup auto-shutdown to shut the system down when all torrent activity had been completed. Thinking that the scheduler would start the torrents, then when everything was completed auto-shutdown would close down the system.

However, what happened was that, after a short pause, the auto-shutdown stepped in immediately and showed the dialogue that says that Tixati was about to shutdown the system. In other words the auto-shutdown routine had completely ignored that there was scheduler task to be done before the system was to be shutdown.

I think this might be a bug. (Either that or I'm doing something very wrong in how I'm trying to setup the scheduler and use auto-shutdown.) Or it might just be a problem with a not very good algorithm controlling how Tixati interacts between these two components scheduler/auto-shutdown.

Any ideas/comments would be appreciated.
by Guest on 2015/11/14 11:01:07 PM    
Auto-shutdown looks at your transfers, and if nothing is downloading, that counts as "everything is complete".  It doesn't know about whether you scheduled other transfers to start soon or other plans for the future.

What if you had scheduled some other downloads to start in 5 days?  Should Tixati not shutdown when there is nothing running currently, because something is scheduled to start in the future?  How far in the future do you draw the line?  You would end up with a very complicated "feature" if auto-shutdown worked like that.

Solution: What you need to do is schedule a "Auto-Shutdown" task.  Go make a new scheduler event to happen just after your "Start Downloads" scheduler event.  Then click Add, in menu go to Shutdown > Auto-Shutdown, and you will see all the events like "Shutdown system when all downloads complete".
by Radish on 2015/11/15 12:58:49 PM    
Excellent! I didn't know that it was possible to set Auto-Shutdown as a scheduled task. Turns out it is very easy to do this - just need to look carefully at all the available options when setting up the scheduled task. (Duh!)

Turns out it is possible to instruct a scheduled task to do an Auto-Shutdown within the same scheduled task as that which also starts the transfers (just make sure the Auto-Shutdown task occurs after the instruction to start the transfers). So you don't need to set separate scheduled tasks for 'Start All Transfers' and 'Auto-Shutdown' if you don't want to do that - just do what is best for you for the occasion. Brilliant!

Tried and test this and it works great. Thanks very, very much for the advice! Much appreciated.

Really getting to like Tixati a lot now. I started with it as a grudging change-over from uTorrent. Now I'm really glad I made the switch. Tixati's scheduler is brilliantly conceived and powerful compared to the pitiful effort in uTorrent.

This web site is powered by Super Simple Server