Help and Support
Ask a question, report a problem, request a feature...
<<  Back To Forum

Locks up after a few days?

by Guest on 2015/11/04 11:40:12 PM    
I've had this issue with various versions from about 1.9x, though this could be more to do with number of torrents running growing in that time. I'm now running 2.24, Windows 7 x64, 18Gb Ram. There's probably 150-ish torrent s seeding or queued seeding 24/7.

After a couple of days or more the Tixati GUI will just freeze, it doesn't show ' (Not Responding)' in the title bar, memory usage doesn't change (about 820Mb I think) the only cure is to kill the process and restart.

Any ideas? :)
by Guest on 2015/11/05 07:31:33 AM    
When it is locked up like this, is the CPU working hard?  Is the hard-drive working hard?  Or just passively dead?

Check out the file operations log in the Help menu (click the help button in upper-right corner).  Maybe this will reveal a delay in the file system?  That is my best guess.

Running win7 here and downloading like a madman.  I don't restart for weeks on end, no problem.
by Guest on 2015/11/05 03:49:59 PM    
I'll have a check the next time it happens, I don't think the CPU's run flat out (I'd know from the fans). If it does lock up though I'd be unable to check the menu as it doesn't respond to any clicks at all.

Cheers for the response, I'll update next time. I'm on Win7 so don't have the better task manager to check for process dependencies etc.
by Guest on 2015/11/05 07:26:16 PM    
I too have experienced the same thing many times over multiple versions up to and including 2.24.

I leave Tixati running 24/7 in the background so I'm never sure exactly when the lock-up happens, but as the OP said, it usually takes several days of steady run time before it happens. I only notice the problem when I go to access Tixati and the UI doesn't respond to clicks. Tixati actually continues to work during this time, for example it will start and complete a download automatically from an RSS feed, but you can't interact with the program in any way. The only way to regain control of Tixati is to shut it down and restart. I THINK, you can right click the Tixati icon in the system tray and then Exit. I'm assuming this would mean that the entire program has not crashed which would likely require ending the process in Task Manager.

I don't think there is unusually high CPU usage at the time of lock-up as I'd hear the fan. As far as how many torrents are running at the time, hard to say because I never know exactly when Tixati locks up. However, my download slots are limited to 8, upload to 5 with recycle unused download slots for uploads option enabled, so max 13 active torrents.

I'm on Windows 10 64bit.
by Guest on 2015/11/10 05:38:31 PM    
OP here,

OK It's been running for several days, and now as the poster above says it seems to be a GUI lock up. I did notice it becoming unresponsive the last few times I tried to do something in Tixati (mouse pointer would change to the circle, "Not Responding" in the title bar, but then would respond again.

However now it's not responding to any GUI commands (Hovering over a button doesn't highlight it, clicking anywhere doesn't show "Not Responding". I can't move it to another monitor (Shift+Windows Key+Left/Right) The GUI is drawing (columns are updating), Task Manager reports about 6-7% CPU with a fairly steady 330,096Kb used.

I can use Process Explorer and it seems to be reading/writing files, is there any information in the "Properties" section that would be useful to debug?

Command Line is: "C:\Program Files\tixati\tixati.exe" -startminimized -d5,

Image: 32-bit running on Windows 7 Ultimate x64

EDIT: I've sussed a workaround, going to the Tixati taskbar button, I can "Reset all windows" to get back control. However why is it freezing in the first place?

Many thanks,
by KH on 2015/11/14 11:34:38 PM    
A few questions for anyone having this problem:

1. Does this lockup happen after a several days of not interacting with the GUI at all, or after several days of usage with perhaps daily interaction?

2. In what state is the main window when the lockup happens?  Maximized, regular, minimized, hidden?

3. If you were to do a "Reset All Windows" once per day, every day, would that prevent the problem completely?

4. Can you get back control by re-sizing, maximizing, minimizing, tray-hide, tray-show, or any combination thereof?  Is Reset All Windows the only thing that gets back control?

5. Does this seem dependent in any way on the amount of uploading/downloading you are doing?  Does heavier activity make it happen more frequently?

Judging by report volume here and in email, this seems to be a rare problem.  We haven't been able to recreate this on any test machines, or see anything obvious after studying the source-code for a few hours, but with the answers to these questions I can perhaps narrow it down and try a work-around for the next release.  Particularly if something like question #3 works.

It is odd that the "Reset All Windows" gets control back.  All this does is a programatic re-size of the window (ie. a simple call to win32 api function MoveWindow).  That this "wakes up" the interface is very strange.  And so far this appears to be a rare problem, so perhaps there is something particularly unusual about the machine (installed software) or the configuration of Tixati (settings) that might be a clue as to exactly what is going on.
by Guest on 2015/11/15 11:44:26 AM    
It happens on my machine every couple of days (unusually, it locked up today after a only an hour or so of activity).
When locked I can't minimize the window. I haven't tried resizing it as the window is usually (not always) in a maximized state.
I don't remember encountering this problem when Tixati was minimized. I can see the program still working d'ling and u'ling but no response from the UI when hovering over it or clicking on it. I don't have hundreds of torrents active, I have 40 in the seeding(/+) state, but out of them only 5-6 with over 1KB/s outgoing.
I haven't tried using the taskbar icon as I only just found this thread. I'll try it the next time it gets stuck.
(Win10 64bit, 16GB RAM)

This web site is powered by Super Simple Server