Help and Support
Ask a question, report a problem, request a feature...
<<  Back To Forum

How do you write or edit a block list?

by Sailor24 on 2015/08/20 07:42:03 AM    
I use blocklists for whatever good they may do. If you download one and unzip it to a text file tixati will load that list just fine and run it. You can't edit it. I have noticed a few IPs that I would like to block, they behave strangely, for instance they use someone elses port in the list for that torrent and show self connected. If I catch one I ignore it but would rather just add them to a block list.

I have tried to make a blocklist using the the format I see in other block lists but this fails. I have also tried adding the IPs to another blocklist, not only does this fail but I somehow mess the other block list up because the number of IPs in the list becomes less, as far as Tixati sees.
How can my short list of IPs be blocked? I would like to use a list that I could add to. I have googled the topic on the net and can't find any info. Any hint would be helpful thanks.
by Guest on 2015/08/20 01:28:57 PM    
Hi Sailor,

I can't answer your question directly but have you had a look at the following webpages which contain information relevant to the issue:

http://support.tixati.com/ip%20filter%20view
http://support.tixati.com/add%20ip%20filter

The "add IP filter" webpage, under the heading "IP List Source", says that:

Tixati accepts lists in the "Description:ip-range" (Bluetack/PG) format, and the "ip-range,#,description" (eMule) format.

(Personally, on that webpage, I think Tixati could improve things a bit by showing a couple of short examples of an actual list in both formats to show users how to correctly make the blocklist themselves. Come on Tixati - help your users out!)

Maybe you can get it to work from information in those pages. If you do remember to post the solution to your query up here so that you help other users.
by shag00 on 2015/08/20 02:59:44 PM    
This has been an issue I and a couple of others have moaned about for some time now without any response from anyone who is involved with the project. Anyway, Tixati can block specified IP addresses, reasonably well if they are an IPV4 address and somewhat less well if it is an IPV6 address, for that reason I would suggest that you have 2 lists, one for IPV4 and one for IPV6.

The list is just a text file, I use notepad but there are other choices. The file is populated by the IP addresses you want to block, one address per line separated by a carriage return. Note you do not enter the port number. Your file then needs to be renamed from "whatever".txt to "whatever".dat.

Then go to SETTING>IPFILTER and set the appropriate filters and tell Tixati the file location of the .dat file.

As I said IPV4 works and IPV6 is problamatic.
by Sailor24 on 2015/08/21 12:31:20 AM    
Thanks I will give that a try. I actually have blocked IPV6 to my machine because of tricks that get used.

Worked perfect thanks for the know how.
by Sailor24 on 2015/08/21 09:42:46 AM    
What Shag suggested works well. Make a text file, .txt works fine it does not need to be a .dat file or a .p2p file.
Enter a ip then hit enter and then add another IP and repeat. Then click IP filter and choose add and locate the file you wrote. All very simple, but not explained on the help page, but I think that is our( the users fault because I think we can add to the help pages) admins fault that how we do that is not explained.

What little I know about IPs has been added to by doing this block list. Interesting one of my five addresses that I have identified as suspicious has had 1000 hits in only a few hours. Makes me think it might be something like BTDigg or strike scraping the DHT, but it is just as easy anti infringement. Thing I have noticed it seems to follow me and my torrents, pretty sure I don't want that.

I only had 5 addresses so I made up 5 block lists so that I could get block results on each address. This one in particular had huge results none of the others have triggered once. It has only been a few hours.

I get we are not suppose to post IPs but if someone is tracking users without consent people should know. This address is based in the US and could be Strike search engine but as I recall they moved out of the US.
Google "isc.sans" the site will be the first hit. This is a security site and they say the address behaves badly but note it could be part of P2P.

Not really sure how this applies to the rules but I think people have a right to know so for what ever length of time this is alive bonus to someone it might help.

sixty eight dot one hundred and sixteen dot five dot one hundred and thirty four. I would block it. even if it is not notorious Tixati users are few enough it will not have a significant result on a legit resource.
by shag00 on 2015/08/21 11:39:50 PM    
You original post said you block lists for "whatever good they do", well they do a lot of good, the best of which is to speed up your downloads which is a whole new way of using them rather than just using them for security related issues.
by Sailor24 on 2015/08/26 09:29:24 AM    
I recognize they have there uses. That is why I use them. I was avoiding giving haters a chance to start.

This web site is powered by Super Simple Server