Help and Support
Ask a question, report a problem, request a feature...
<<  Back To Forum

Is Tixati "vulnerable" to this bittorrent DRDOS vulnerability?

by Guest on 2015/08/15 06:54:03 PM    
Hi,

Is Tixati vulnerable to the issue here: https://www.usenix.org/conference/woot15/workshop-program/presentation/p2p-file-sharing-hell-exploiting-bittorrent

If no, Awesome!

If yes, Is it something you'll be working on?

Regards,
Guest.
by KH on 2015/08/19 09:28:28 AM    
Thanks for posting that research paper, it was an interesting read.

No, Tixati is not an effective bandwidth-amplifier that can be used for these types of UDP reflective attacks.

When I originally wrote the DHT and UPC implementations I was very mindful of avoiding bandwidth amplification as much as possible.

The technical details of potential UPC/uTP problems are outlined in section 3.2 of the paper.  These do not affect Tixati, as it does not send bitfield/HAVEs/extension in the second half of the first round-trip, just the bare handshake.  Also I should point out that unlike every other client out there, Tixati has it's own hardened UPC/uTP implementation, and does not use the "official" reference implementation, which has more problems than just this.

The Tixati DHT is also designed for the lowest-possible bandwidth amplification factor, does not support DHT-scrape extension (for this very reason), and has extensive query/response rate-limiting at various prefix-group levels.  The bandwidth multiplication factor in a real-world scenario certainly isn't high enough to be of practical use to an attacker.
by John on 2015/08/19 09:57:03 AM    
That's great news, Kevin!

Keep up the good work.

Cheers.
by Guest on 2015/08/19 06:43:54 PM    
Hi KH,

Thank you very much for the information! :)

Regards,
Thread starter Guest.

This web site is powered by Super Simple Server