Help and Support
Ask a question, report a problem, request a feature...
<<  Back To Forum

FR: Copy Folders/Files from Seeding Folder to Other Location

by Radish on 2015/08/13 03:26:42 PM    
Feature Request: Copy Folders/Files from Seeding Folder to Other Location

To save wear on hard-disk drives (HDD) and SSD I download into and seed from a ramdisk. So in Settings > Transfers > Local Files I have the following settings:

Default Download Location - W:\Torrent Incoming
Upon completion, move to this location - W:\Torrent Seeding
Directly move file/folder if possible when changing location - 'ticked'

Given that I am seeding from a ramdisk I need a way of copying the folders/files in the seeding folder to a location on my HDD or SSD. If I don't do the copy then, obviously, I lose all of the content of the seeding folder when the system is rebooted/shutdown. I would like it if Tixati provided an in-built automatic way of copying the contents of the seeding folder to another location (on HDD or SSD). Tixati would do it this way:

(1) When the torrent is complete the folders/files get moved to the seeding folder - and the torrents seed from there.
(2) As soon as this move is completed then Tixati will automatically copy the new torrent folders/files to another location (on an HDD or SSD) set by the user.
(3) Tixati only does this copy once for all new content in the seeding folder. (By this I mean that Tixati doesn't repeatedly check the other location against what is in the seeding folder. It does the copy once when the folders/files arrive in the seeding the folder and never needs to check this again. I hope I've explained this well.)

Why would this be a good feature for Tixati? (Reasons are simple.)

(1) RAM installed in computers now is pretty well huge so people do tend to use large ramdisks a lot now.
(2) People do use ramdisks for torrenting as torrenting is pretty punishing on HDD's and SSD's. I know several people that use large ramdisks for torrenting.
(3) With the advent of SSD's people are actively looking for ways to save writes to SSD's. Better to make one write to an SSD than to make several. So one write to SSD - the completed torrent - saves wear. (Same goes for HDD's.)
(4) I don't know of any other torrenting program that offers this option. Allowing this option would separate Tixati out as being better than the rest.

So, please, Tixati make it possible to automatically copy folders/files from the seeding to folder to another location as soon as the folders/files are moved into the seeding folder.
by JWvL_software on 2015/08/15 01:49:19 AM    
Why not use an SSD/HDD hybrid.  

This speeds up the HDD performance by temporarily caching to the SDD portion as a buffer.  HDDs are not as prone to shorter lifespans as SDD drives. Therefore, I have my OS on the SSD and do SSD optimizing via Raxco Perfect Disk 14. I have my torrent dl folder on the hybrid drive and all file storage and seeding on my QNAP multimedia file server with 4+mirrored 6gb HHDs. I got 3yr rescue and replace warranties on all the drives.

You must not be transferring much since ramdisks are tiny.

Hope this helps,

JWvL
by Radish on 2015/08/19 01:31:28 PM    
Hi JWvL

I just got a new computer about a month ago, budget nothing fancy. Needless to say it came with an HDD but I have a new spare lying around for when that drive decides to pack in. Maybe at that time I'll consider getting an SSD, just now it's not an issue for me.

Performance-wise I find my machine fast enough for my needs without an SSD. Really if I was getting an SSD I would be doing so because it might outlast an HDD - that would be my main consideration (not performance). There are some indications that this might be not so far-fetched a notion:

https://techreport.com/review/27436/the-ssd-endurance-experiment-two-freaking-petabytes

My main reason for liking to use a ramdisk is just to do with wear on HDD. (Though if I had an SSD it would take the same view for that.) Ramdisks don't wear out - they are also pretty fast. As far as I am aware they are faster than SSD. Also with previous computers when my HDD's did start to pack-in this was always associated with the partitions I would be using for torrenting - torrenting is really demanding on an HDD. So I get round that problem by using a ramdisk.

Also use a ramdisk just out of habit - been using them for years. Nowadays, with RAM being cheap, and computer installable RAM capacity being high, I have enough RAM to run a fairly large ramdisk, 10.00 GB, enough for my torrenting needs certainly, I don't think that it would be described as 'tiny' - but I suppose that is all relative to personal benchmarks. Also unmounting the ramdisk, setting a different size and then remounting it is a trivial operation.

Anyway, each to their own I guess. :)

This web site is powered by Super Simple Server