Help and Support
Ask a question, report a problem, request a feature...
<<  Back To Forum

Defragmented files

by Iapetus on 2015/08/12 01:49:47 PM    
Any way to get Tixati to create files before starting the download? I downloaded one with 80 files in it and every time my defrag runs (it's a slow download) it has to defragment the files. One of then, at 400 MB, was in 5000 separate fragments.
by Radish on 2015/08/13 01:53:52 PM    
Try the following and see if it helps. Click your way through the settings using this path: Settings > Transfers > Local Files > File Allocation (drop-down menu). In the drop-down select "Full Pre-Write". Doing this should force Tixati to fully allocate the disk space once a torrent download is initiated - in theory this should be contiguous disk space i.e. it shouldn't be fragmented.

For more information on this see the webpage at the following link. (Please, note that the webpage isn't up to date with the latest version of Tixati, so the image looks different to what version of Tixati you might be using now, but you will, nonetheless, find information on this setting that will be of use to you):

http://support.tixati.com/settings%20-%20transfers%20-%20local%20files

It comes as something of a surprise to me that on that webpage Tixati recommends not using this setting and regards it as "obsolete". Personally I find it a great setting - but then I download into and seed from a ramdisk and have no worries about how long it takes to fully allocate the file(s) - it happens pretty fast for me. I certainly hope that Tixtati do not remove this setting from future versions of Tixati.

In any case Lapetus I would recommend working your way through the "Help & Support" stuff that is available via the link at the top of the webpage you're reading now. It is actually helpful (though not necessarily fully up to date) and it isn't complete in the information that it provides but it is a good starting point for help.
by Pete on 2015/08/13 04:22:47 PM    
Try experimenting with Settings > Local Files > File Allocation. Try Fast Allocate or Full Pre-Write, these are slower but result in much less file fragmentation, at least in my case.

This web site is powered by Super Simple Server