Help and Support
Ask a question, report a problem, request a feature...
<<  Back To Forum

[Feature Request] Bulk renames/batch file management

by meson1 on 2015/05/31 06:37:55 PM    
Tixati is great.  Love it.  But the one drawback I find it has is that you have to do everything through the GUI.  So it you're trying to go through several thousand torrents to perform file and folder renames, it is a bit of a pain and very, very slow.  It doesn't help that when you complete a rename, it doesn't return focus to the pane you were working in so you can just arrow key down to the next file and F2 it.  Instead you have to switch back to the mouse, which isn't good useablility.

I think Tixati needs a way to allow bulk file management.  A great way would be to provide a command line interface of some sort so that you can perform moves or renames via a script, via a Tixati CLI or console so it keeps track of your torrents and their contents.

An alternative would be to offline the torrent and use the GUI to ask Tixati to get hashes of the files and folders in question.  The user then performs what ever bulk operations he wants using appropriate tools.  When he is done, he selects an option within the GUI to tell Tixati to rematch the files and folders via the hashes and thereby pick up the new filenames (so long as the user hasn't changed the folder & file structure).  This idea might need a bit of tweaking to turn it into a workable solution, but I'm putting it out there as a start.
by meson1 on 2015/06/01 05:53:02 PM    
Some clarification seeing as I cannot edit my original post any more.

First paragraph when I say "it is a bit of a pain and very, very slow", I don't mean that Tixati itself is slow, I mean that the work flow in terms of the sequence of actions that user has to perform to perform operations (such as renaming) on multiple files is slow.

Third paragraph when I talk about "using appropriate tools", I mean the user's choice of third party tools.  For me that would be Bulk Rename Utility, for others it may be a Windows cmd script or a Linux shell script.

This web site is powered by Super Simple Server