Help and Support
Ask a question, report a problem, request a feature...
<<  Back To Forum

Incoming vs outgoing

by Guest on 2015/05/20 04:37:45 PM    
I get myself confused

Is an incoming peer connection a connection to a peer where the data is incoming?
OR is it an incoming connection from another peer that found you as a seed/peer with data and the data will be going out to them?

Obviously outgoing would be the reverse of that,

Outgoing a connection out to a seed or peer where that data will be coming back to me?  
or is an outgoing connection the data going out to other peers once you have some data to share?
by Pete on 2015/05/23 10:56:24 PM    
If you started a connection, it is outgoing connection. If remote peer started a connection, it is incoming connection. Bytes In - data downloaded from a peer, Bytes Out - data uploaded to a peer, this is always the same, no matter if connection is incoming or outgoing.
by Guest on 2015/05/27 02:44:22 AM    
I'm asking because of the options on the connections tab of settings.

Outgoing peer connection encryption   << connections that I start? and all data that follows? so this is downloads?
Incoming peer connection encryption   << connections that others start?  and all data? so this is uploads?

I don't want to encrypt all upload and download traffic from each user if possible..
I'd prefer to just allow all unencrypted downloads from others to me and only allow encrypted uploads from me to others
by Pete on 2015/05/27 08:20:58 PM    
If I understand it correctly, once established peer connection works both directions. You and a connected peer can exchange data, it doesn't matter who started the connection. That means you can't encrypt all uploaded data, unless you force all connections to be encrypted.
by Guest on 2015/05/27 08:29:37 PM    
Ah darn, alright that makes sense.
All only encrypted it is!  thanks again!

This web site is powered by Super Simple Server