Help and Support
Ask a question, report a problem, request a feature...
<<  Back To Forum

Protocol for 'Decentralized Sharing Channels'?

by Guest on 2015/05/19 02:38:41 AM    
Background: I have been (ultra-happily) using Tixati for over 4 (or 5) years now. I am also a coder.

I am working on an open-source decentralized game networking service that uses the torrent-infrastructure to network people playing the same game together (using a unique hash and tracker to define 'rooms' and 'lobbies'). I am now trying to implement chat functionality, and I figured I would stay within the 'torrent-based' services and implement DSC.

So, after much searching, I learn that the sharing channels aren't some standard, with an easily-found protocol that I can simply download and reference. Is this just a Tixati feature? And if so, why isn't the protocol documented?

To add insult to injury, from the documentation on the channels:
"For the geek in you, the "Channels" feature of Tixati is a particularly good demonstration of how to build a decentralized networked application"

...How is it an example if nobody knows how it works? Am I missing something? Alternatively, should I just implement the Tox protocol instead?

Any thoughts, protocol suggestions, or (if I am lucky) documentation on the DSCs are appreciated!!

-A
by Guest on 2015/05/26 01:48:18 AM    
The 'sharing/streaming' channels in Tixati are very unique. However they are still a "rudimentary" work in progress. My understanding is that it took a year just to get it working initially.

While the dev says he'd like to share the knowledge, how and when, how much and in what form remains unknown (to me obviously). Many have expressed an interest in assisting with coding but for now at least, the code is not liberated, open source.
by Guest on 2015/06/03 04:35:50 AM    
Thanks for the information! I guess it would seem that using DSCs are out of the picture then, until they are openly documented.

I am curious where you got this anecdotal info on the DSC dev? Is there a blog or something somewhere?

Thanks again,
-A

This web site is powered by Super Simple Server