Help and Support
Ask a question, report a problem, request a feature...
<<  Back To Forum

Seeding when leeches show up?

by Dimitri001 on 2015/05/18 08:37:51 PM    
I have a big list of torrents that I want to seed and need to seed to keep my ratio up, but if I seed more than 3 at a time it affects browsing quite a bit, so is there a way to keep 3 slots open for seeding but to tell tixati to seed those torrents to which leeches show up, if you follow what I'm saying?

So say I have 8 torrents and I only seed 3 at the time. I'm seeding torrents A, B and C, and still have D, E, F, G, H in my list which are inactive.

So say none of the torrents have leaches, but then leaches show up at D and Tixati automatically stops A from seeding and starts seeding D.
by Pete on 2015/05/18 09:52:17 PM    
What you are asking for is some smart way to manage queue. Luckily it is already promised in future version.
We are still working as fast as possible on a better system for transfer standby queue management
(quote from the pinned topic)

I think what matters mostly is total number of active peer connections, not a number of seeding torrents. Unfortunately Tixati doesn't have total connections limit, just per transfer limit. In my opinion it would be great to have separate peer connection limits for downloads and seeds.

Torrents with no leeches shouldn't affect your browsing, unless there are many other seeds, which Tixati tries to connect continuously. A few torrents, with hundreds of seeds each, may slow things down. I guess you'll have to limit "concurrent connection attempts" in that case.

From my experience it is best to:
1) set reasonable outgoing bandwidth limit - this is most important, set it to about 70-80% of maximum outgoing bandwidth, you can also experiment with autolimiter, it is very good tool but not as easy to set as hard limit,
2) set low maximum peer connections limit, 25 is minimum per transfer
3) set lower priority for populated torrents, especially those with many other seeds, give higher priority for rarely downloaded torrents with low seed numbers
by Guest on 2015/05/22 09:42:06 PM    
Thanks!
by Dimitri001 on 2015/08/11 09:41:27 PM    
I'm bumping this topic because I saw there was some mention of seed queue management in the features list of the new update.

Has it maybe become possible to do what I talk about in the first post?

To be clear, I'm talking about having torrents stopped completely (so that they aren't interfering with browsing), but then Tixati starts them up if leeches show up.

I saw that hte new automatic system puts some seeding torrents on standby. Is this equal to being stopped? In other words, does a torrent that's on standby not take up any bandwidth (obviously it takes SOME to check the status of the swarm etc.) and therefore not interfere with browsing?

Also, just to explain the situation I have, I have a very large list of torrents that I want to seed, and these torrents 99% of the time have some seeders and no leechers, but I have to keep them active for the once in a blue moon when a leecher shows up.

However, if I have more than 3-4 of these seeding torrents active I can't browse at all most of the time.
by Napsterbater on 2015/08/12 03:11:26 AM    
If there is no activity on a torrent even if it's "running" it won't affect your internet/system, unless you have a router with a small connection tracking table, then you need to change the setting in tixati to reduce the number of connection, or get a better router.
by Guest on 2015/08/14 04:09:23 AM    
So you mean "maximum peer connections per transfer?" Its set at 55 right now, what do you suggest I make it?
by Dimitri001 on 2015/08/14 05:48:16 PM    
(I posted something as a guest and then it went away, hopefully it doesn't come back so we get a double post here)

When you say reduce the number of connections in Tixati, are you referring to "maximum peer connections per transfer" which is under settings/network/connections?

Its currently set to 55, what do you suggest I make it?
by Dimitri001 on 2015/08/21 12:34:10 PM    
C'mon, fellas, someone give me a hand with this.
by shag00 on 2015/08/21 11:48:24 PM    
For what it's worth I find the optimum number of connections per torrent is 12.
by Bugmagnet on 2015/08/22 05:59:01 AM    
Dimitri001
I think Tixati can do what you want, especially with the initial implementation of the queue management system.

I suppose what you set Settings/Network/Connections/Max Peer connections per transfer to depends on the torrents you are seeding and the demand. Mine is set to 50 but I seldom get more than single digit peers for what I seed.

I think more critical settings are the number of UPload and Download slots you open and enabling auto-manage slots. Before queue management was added, I would set over 1000 torrents to constant seed and my browsing was not affected.

Bandwidth limiting might be the most important factor to address your concerns. The dev teams recommends a quick and dirty way to preset the max upload limit. Seed as many files as you wish and turn off the limit. Watch the graph to see the peak/average level your connection/system allows. If your upload is say 128kB/s (1024kb/s) then set your limit to 70% or less of that (~90kB/s). The remaining 30% will facilitate browsing and download overhead.
http://support.tixati.com/bandwidth%20view

Tixati enhances this with Auto-Limit which allows changing the limit approximately +10% -15% based on latency, ping times etc.
http://support.tixati.com/automatic%20bandwidth%20limiter

If these options don't accomplish what you want, you might experiment with changing the process priority, but I doubt that would be needed

This web site is powered by Super Simple Server