Help and Support
Ask a question, report a problem, request a feature...
<<  Back To Forum

Feature Request: Auto Update

by Guest on 2015/05/18 03:36:02 AM    
Is this possible.
To update in the background or similar to how an Anti-Virus program would update its definitions so that there would be no need to run an installer each time an update is released?

P.S. Great program. Thanks a lot!
by Guest on 2015/11/28 08:34:51 AM    
I agree
by Guest on 2016/01/23 01:36:35 AM    
+1, any 2016 app should have this. Tixati is still my favorite torrent client, but this is the only thing i don't like about it.
by cvbn on 2016/02/11 05:24:59 PM    
Automatic in-app updates are always a very bad idea.

And here is some recent news that demonstrates exactly why it is foolish to trust any app to do automatic self-updating:

http://arstechnica.com/security/2016/02/huge-number-of-mac-apps-vulnerable-to-hijacking-and-a-fix-is-elusive/

In-app updating, even when done well, is still a very risky pipeline for executing arbitrary code on an end-user machine.

It is one thing to trust the OS package manager to do automatic package updates, but you can never trust individual apps, because it is far from easy to make these schemes secure.  Multiply that risk times the number of apps on your machine, and you're begging for trouble.
by Radish on 2016/02/12 06:42:37 PM    
Automatic in-app updates are always a very bad idea.
Totally agree. Very, very, very bad idea.

However, a check if an update is available every day/once a week/once a month (whatever) and a pop-up notifying the user that the update is available would be a decent feature.
by Guest on 2016/02/12 10:20:32 PM    
However, a check if an update is available every day/once a week/once a month (whatever) and a pop-up notifying the user that the update is available would be a decent feature.

Settings > Update Check (2nd from the bottom)

This web site is powered by Super Simple Server