Help and Support
Ask a question, report a problem, request a feature...
<<  Back To Forum

Bug in Tixati

by Guest on 2015/04/18 04:12:38 AM    
I posted this bug a long time ago, at that time the current version was 1.9x but this bug is still not fixed.  I hope posting it again can help.  This is definitely a bug and it can be easily reproduced.

How to reproduce the bug:
1) create a torrent containing a directory named "~Tixati~" without the quotes with another torrent client(not tixati).
2) open the torrent with tixati

You will see "~Tixati~" becoming "_Tixati_".  Opening it with any other client shows the correct directory name.

You can see the difference if you open it with Tixati or any other torrent clients.  In fact, you cant even rename the directory to "~Tixati~".

Tested under Windows 7.

Please fix this.
by Sailor24 on 2015/04/19 03:28:24 AM    
~ is not allowed with Tixati, read the lit. Do you understand ~ means something to computers?
by Guest on 2015/04/19 05:22:13 PM    
I dont know why u say ~ is not allowed.  ~ is a perfectly fine character for folder names in Windows.  And indeed I have many torrents with directory ending with this character which is why this problem is annoying for me.  All other clients handle this correctly.  If Tixati were open source I would make a patch myself for this problem.
by Bugmagnet on 2015/04/20 03:02:15 PM    
whether or not something is allowed in WindowsWorld is not and should not be the defining factor.

i.e. Windows allows spaces in file names. Linux does not.

Creating and keeping a cross-platform database has limitations and restricting certain characters may be one of the costs to do that.
by Guest on 2015/04/21 02:51:27 AM    
i just checked, both Mac and Linux allows ~ as the beginning and the end of a directory name.  Where you got that ~ is not allowed?

You said, i.e. Windows allows spaces in file names. Linux does not.

I am pretty sure linux allows spaces in file names.

Further more, I dont think the code base of Tixati should be completely platform independent.

Janet or developer of Tixati can you say something about this?
by Guest on 2015/04/21 10:23:55 PM    
This is not a bug. the ~ cant be used because in linux it means a hidden file. tixati is made to be used on both linux and windows (portable version) so some compromises must be made.
by Guest on 2015/04/23 12:36:54 AM    
Hidden files start with a dot not ~ in linux.
Even it were a hidden file, I think the Tixati shoukd preserve the hidden state.  The user creating the torrent purposely set the folder name afterall.  Imagine if the user were downloading some sort of installation files, the program installing will fail with a change of folder name.
by Guest on 2015/07/25 02:14:17 PM    
Can dev please take a look at this for 2.14 alpha?

This web site is powered by Super Simple Server