Help and Support
Ask a question, report a problem, request a feature...
<<  Back To Forum

Set up Firefox  37.0.1 for use with Tixati 1.96

by loninappleton on 2015/04/14 08:09:14 PM    
Is there a combination of settings for newer Firefox 37
and the previous Tixati 1.96 to allow both to work together effectively?

This has hardly ever been an issue for me.  But now I have a newer Zoom X5 dsl modem supplied by the ISP.

Recently I was getting all sorts of 'server not found' errors and attributed this to a failing Actiontec 701 from the ISP.  The company gave me the Zoom.

If I start Tixati with nominal settings for my band width (which is low) at 39 out and 29 in,  Firefox will be showing 'connecting' for way too long.

Potential problems are throttling by the ISP but this has not been a major issue and they are pretty tolerant of my file sharing (as much as any of them,)

What are good settings in both programs and Windows?

I recently saw that 'server not found ' errors can be fixed by some settings in the operating system.
by Bugmagnet on 2015/04/16 03:56:26 PM    
firefox and tixati are totally independent.

You don't need to have firefox installed at all to run tixati so there are no firefox settings that tixati depends on.

The 'server not found' errors might relate to your modem/router/switch being overloaded. Often a reboot of those devices will fix that. BitTorrent uses so many connections it is easy to overwhelm the limited buffer space in inexpensive home routers. My old US Robotics router would need a reboot every 8 hours. When I asked their support for a fix, I was told their 'state of the art' router wasn't designed for the level of traffic torrents need and they suggested i get a cisco router. Eventually I did, but not one of the enterprise level devices which cost several thousand dollars. Cisco made a 'small business' router under its linksys brand (RV042, RV082 and RV016) that can now be found on ebay for 10-50 USD. I have found these to be very robust and seldom need rebooting. Cisco has since sold off the Linksys brand but it continues to offer more updated gigabit small business routers, some with wifi, that I would think would work well.
by Guest on 2015/04/18 06:52:11 PM    
If there was a Cisco for $10 USD I'd take a chance on getting one and plugging it in.  As it is, the ISP supplies the dsl device and I have no clue as to how they have messed with setup.  Setup is not accessible.  I have not found a simple way aside from Portforwarding dot com to get any of this knowledge.  

I call this the treehouse mentality.
by loninappleton on 2015/04/18 08:54:21 PM    
Still working on this problem of using websites and torrents at the same time.

Here is what might be some progress:  I picked up an exchange adsl modem from my ISP and stipulated that it be set up for UPnP which I don't really understand much about with regard to torrents.  Utorrent reported no UPnP available and that's what made me ask for the setup verification.  Utoprrent can get product from the internet library at Ibiblio.

Today I connected the new Actiontec 701Done and my random port now shows listening
which had not been functioning.

Here is the sequence of what happened.

I had an old Actiontec 701 which worked for a long time.  My torrents are on  all/most of the time.
The Actiontec began to show 'server not found' errors last Saturday.  The ISP tech said that is a sign of a failing device.

The replacement they gave me next was a Zoom X5 adsl. But the problem continued.
The Zoom has built in routing capabilities but plugging it in direct to my two connections made no improvement.

The second replacement I requested is an updated Actiontec but with just one ethernet  out.

My working architecture was:

Actiontec single ethernet out to a 4 port switch in  that has two ethernet lines out
to my two home  networked  machines.  This is not really complicated but sounds so with all the modem changes.

Result:

So far establishing the old architecture with the adsl to 4 port switch and with UPnP
turned on in setup of the modem is working.

I will report back more and if things don't hold up.  My temporary install of new Tixati made no difference before the new hardware install.
by loninappleton on 2015/04/23 09:04:00 AM    
A few days later and no dropouts or server not found errors-- within reason of using Tixati.  I can see you tubes about as well as I ever could which is not much.

The tech at the ISP confirmed over the the phone that he made sure UPnP was turned on in setup.  But he was not forthcoming about me working in setup.

Portforwarding dot com has a lot of that info but I think I'm locked out of this one.

This web site is powered by Super Simple Server