Help and Support
Ask a question, report a problem, request a feature...
<<  Back To Forum

Bandwidth priority doesn't seem to work.

by A_Bizzle on 2015/03/27 07:16:34 AM    
First of all thanks so much for a great program, Tixati is just great , no errors on torrents (ever) , IP filtering , no advertising , incomplete and complete torrents are kept separate, just great.

But.

The "Bandwidth Priority Group" settings don't seem to work well or at all at times. I posted a screenshot to explain what I'm saying. (Bandwidth limits are set in Bandwidth tab. )

If I'm downloading 5 torrents all with a huge number of seeds the torrent I add last will go the slowest regardless of me giving it "Ultra High" bandwidth priority. (The one going 8.10K in the screenshot in this case.)

http://s23.postimg.org/ug4lz9jor/UH_Doesn_t_seem_to_work.png
by Sailor24 on 2015/03/29 12:12:00 PM    
They are working for what your computer can control. Clearly your computer is uploading those torrents with more priority. Because the download can be controlled by other computers you may not get them to upload to you faster. In order to give them download priority faster temp stop your other downloads and then start them after the other. That still does not mean much on the download side however.

It is very hard to explain but if you want a download to slow to allow another to speed up, limit the incoming data allowed for it.
by Guest on 2015/03/29 11:38:22 PM    
So what does "Bandwidth Priority" do? It only affects upload?
by A_Bizzle on 2015/03/30 12:08:04 AM    
I thought Bandwidth Priority would intelligently lower the maximum download rate of torrents with a lower priority and increase that of torrents with higher priority. I think that is what most people would think when they see the words "Bandwidth Priority" , from your explanation of what it does it should be called "Upload Priority". Would developers consider changing that?

Please don't get defensive , like I said I have a lot of respect for Tixati and it's developers.
by Sailor24 on 2015/03/30 09:05:35 AM    
It does that but it requires the uploaders to you do the same. They don't always do that. Just because you want something fast does not mean you will get it fast, depends on what seeders will output. A lot depends on what YOU output and at your low rates you can't expect much. It is one thing when there are multi seeds complete and you are short on upload bandwidth but if everyone in the torrent is a leech, expecting something to come back and you can't give then don't expect much sent your way until they are complete.
by Guest on 2015/03/31 06:58:05 AM    
I had a 200K limit on my upload limit in the bandwidth screen , that's above the maximum I can do , it's unusual for my upload speeds to be that low.

From what you were saying about lowering max speeds of other torrents to increase the speed of the one you want to give priority that is something that could be incorporated in the Bandwidth Priority just not with the current system. It's fine that it's not tho I'm still a big fan  of Tixati.
by Sailor24 on 2015/04/01 06:30:43 AM    
The point that I am trying to make is even if you close the other torrent the other may not speed up.

It is way more complicated than that. On the path of a packet many people get to decide what is first it does not even have anything to do with torrents, it is the way info moves on the net.

In other words when you are receiving data you are the last person that gets to say, everyone gets to tell you. When you send info the opposite is true and you get first say to what will happen.

If you have 2 powerful torrents and give one a higher priority it will download faster, but if one is more powerful than the other it will complete first no matter where you set priority.
by Guest on 2015/04/03 04:12:06 AM    
Cheers for the replies I really appreciate it , I'll keep everything you've said in mind when torrenting.

This web site is powered by Super Simple Server