Help and Support
Ask a question, report a problem, request a feature...
<<  Back To Forum

[Feature Request] Add "don't create folder" in new torrent menu

by Jaanis on 2015/03/24 01:47:32 PM    
It woud be nice to make a checkbox, or any other way, to create new torrent download without creating folder, when torrent author made one. Two examples for what it may be usefull:

1. Downloading a movie, that have a structure of folder, and then 2 files: .avi and .nfo. I usualy uncheck .nfo to not download it. And then i download and keep those 1 file movies just in general e:/Movies/ folder. Now with current Tixati version, it will make a subfolder anyway. Tried to delete folder name, but it autorefills it and makes anyway. As a workaround, after i started download, i must stop it, then trough menu relocate file to one folder up, and then open Windows Explorer, and delete that empty folder.

2. Watching TV series, and new episode comes out, but sadly released from different uploader. He does have his own folder structure, but i just want to put that new episode in previously used Season 5 folder, without creating new subfolder. Happens more offten than i want it to.

P.S. So used to this feature in previously used torrent client, and now started using Tixati, and i love that client more and more every day, but lack of that feature slows down my love growth to Tixati :)
by tgp1994 on 2015/09/29 10:58:38 PM    
I'd like to bump this request, running Tixati 2.16. I'm pretty sure Tixati won't make a separate folder when the torrent in question only has one file, but for multifile torrents, a folder is created no-questions-asked. For me, if I end up only downloading one file, I would like it not to be in its own folder.

I would like to see this feature implemented!
by EvilLivesHere on 2015/09/30 03:13:50 PM    
This feature has to do with the way torrents work.  When one creates a torrent, there are actually two different ways to build it; either single file mode, or single folder mode.  Depending on which is used, the information is organized slightly differently in the section of the torrent that is used to generate the info hash.  The info hash is used for finding and 'authorizing' all peers.  So this may seem like a very simple feature to implement, but it would require Tixati to abstract how the torrent SHOULD look on the drive from what the actual state of the torrent is.  To put it more simply, Tixati would need to now keep track of the fact that even though the files (or file structure) on the drive do not match the torrent, it still should hash correctly (and should link properly to the files so it can still seed/download).

I don't know how the software is written, so I can't say specifically how difficult this would be to implement for them, but it could be anywhere from relatively easy to requiring them to change the entire way they validate torrent data.  Maybe a dev or admin could comment for an idea of how likely we are to see this feature in the future.
by tgp1994 on 2015/09/30 06:28:49 PM    
That sounds a little extreme, don't you think? Tixati already keeps track of what files in a torrent are to be downloaded (or not) and where they go, isn't that just a derivative of what this feature request is asking for?
by Guest on 2016/06/20 04:50:44 PM    
Sorry for unburying the thread but is there any news about this request? Tks
by Guest on 2017/04/12 09:35:30 AM    
I'm curious about the resistance of coders to implement this feature. Is it from a "the user is lazy" perspective or a "coding this is a massive pain" or even a "it's breaking the standard to do this"? I'm not trying to anger any one but I have seen this same request on other torrent clients and in every case the coders are adamant that it will never happen in their software to the point of getting annoyed that users ask for this.

I think one of the things holding Tixati back is the UI. It's great to have the power to issue script commands but some features just need a single button. I don't want the team up in arms because some one is saying bad things about the software, I'm really happy with it for the most part. Rather think of it as another step in development, get some suggestions and then get a few UI/UX experts to help mockup layouts and automated features for going forward.\

Seriously, one of the biggest things holding most free or open source software back is the balance of simplicity and power in the UI.
by JWvL_software on 2017/11/19 12:10:55 AM    
I rename the Title/Folder Name to the "Name of the Series" and if I keep it then move it to a sub-folder that I name "s01" for season 1, etc. Movies I name "Movie Tile (YEAR)" and "Movie Series Title: with appropriate sub-folders. That's what makes it: "My Library"

Anything else would require a ridiculous amount of time and effort on the part of the Devs (Thank You).
by Guest on 2019/12/05 07:34:19 PM    
I have same problem, when downoading TV series that still releases the new episodes every week. New folder is created with (1) or (2) at the beginning of the folder name. I have to delete this and then Tixati says that the folder already exist and I simply click ok.
Episodes that I watched I just turn off at the downloading window.
I tired of deleting it every time. Is there any option to download the torrent to same folder if folder is already exist without adding these (1) (2) etc.
by Guest on 2019/12/08 12:10:35 PM    
the main problem is that, when adding a torrent, the root folder is not even showed. i understand that there is one because the title has no extension. but this is not a good reason to not show the folder

that said, i have asked many times the feature to not download root folder, but they prefer to so something like

- updated piece size checking upon meta-info loading, allow 16K - 64M
- allow local creation of transfers with piece size up to 64M
- updated IP location tables
- a few other minor fixes in the GUI

wow, so useful.
by CircleOfReality on 2022/06/17 09:46:47 PM    
I have same problem, when downoading TV series that still releases the new episodes every week. New folder is created with (1) or (2) at the beginning of the folder name. I have to delete this and then Tixati says that the folder already exist and I simply click ok.
Episodes that I watched I just turn off at the downloading window.
I tired of deleting it every time. Is there any option to download the torrent to same folder if folder is already exist without adding these (1) (2) etc.
Exactly! We need alternative approach for TV-Series torrents or Periodically Updated Torrents.
For example, I asked about How to auto-select last episode in updating torrent and place new episode in the same folder that the last torrent is?
https://forum.tixati.com/support/7186

This web site is powered by Super Simple Server