Help and Support
Ask a question, report a problem, request a feature...
<<  Back To Forum

Fast file allocation or Sparse files?

by Guest on 2015/03/13 08:31:33 PM    
Tixati 1.99 (Windows 64-bit) version

http://support.tixati.com/settings%20-%20transfers%20-%20local%20files

The above help page suggests that the default option is fast allocate.

However, in my client the default is sparse files.

I am worrying about fragmentation... Any thoughts?

What is your default setting?
by Sailor24 on 2015/03/14 11:29:12 PM    
The default setting changed around 1.98 or maybe 1.99. Torrents are bad for fragmenting with all of the writes. The other thing is if you leave your client running all of the time windows will not let defrag complete so you need to turn off once a week and schedule defrag then.
by Guest on 2015/03/14 11:48:06 PM    
Thanks!
by Guest on 2021/07/13 09:18:12 AM    
Sorry for the necrobump.

Which option is more SSD-friendly?
by Guest on 2021/07/14 01:57:17 AM    
The SSD-friendly option is to not have "incomplete-pieces" folder on the SSD (Settings>Locations>Incomplete pieces location) as well as not running Windows (Linux and its filesystems especially ext4 are much better at it).

The worst for SSD is the full pre-write. Due to how Tixati has an incomplete-pieces folder feature I do not think it matters which of the other two you choose, because it all comes down to OS file caching. Fast allocation is technically better for other reasons (preventing fragmentation).

If you REALLY wanted to spare the SSD like I said: Linux. But there's something you can do on Windows too and that is to increase the SSD file system partition's sector size: default is 4KB whereas SSDs erasure block size... varies. The way flash storage works is that in order to rewrite a single byte, it must first erase a whole internal block and then write it again. So in theory by increasing the file system block size, you reduce the amount of tiny writes (and fragmentation) and as a result reduce the amount of internal rewrites (write amplification).
You can't change the fs sector size without reformatting (full erasure) of the partition.
by Guest on 2021/07/16 02:00:26 PM    
what about using partitioning softwares to increase cluster size? does that increase sector size as you stated?
by Guest on 2021/07/17 08:39:52 PM    
Yes that's exactly that. However you do need to erase all data to change partitions (for a small effect). If you do, don't set cluster aka block size greater than 64K, it seems to me overly wasteful then. Again no hard numbers known.

This web site is powered by Super Simple Server