Help and Support
Ask a question, report a problem, request a feature...
<<  Back To Forum

Still waiting for a new update with an IP Binding feature

by voyager on 2015/02/28 02:30:25 AM    
I quit Tixati because I need a torrent client with the ability to bind to a specific IP.
I used Tixati for several years until forced to begin using a VPN to maintain my online anonymity.
Without the ability to bind to an IP address your location can be compromised if you are inadvertently disconnected from the VPN.
It is useless to use a VPN with a torrent client that cannot bind to an IP address.

I really liked Tixati while I was using it.
If I didn't, I wouldn't be back here checking on it.
Add this ability to Tixati, and I'll be back to using it in a heart beat.
by Guest on 2015/03/09 06:51:48 AM    
http://support.tixati.com/settings%20-%20network%20-%20connections
Local IP IPv4/IPv6 addresses
This setting is provided for expert users that have multiple internet connections and need to specify a local address to bind all connections to.

isn't that what you are searching for?
by Guest on 2015/03/14 09:11:22 AM    
I do not think that will do the job required.

The VPN opens on a specific network interface.
Its network settings in the operating system determine which one it is assigned to.
Vuse can be bound to that particular interface.
Whatever IP address the VPN is using at that moment is the one Vuse binds to.
The actual IP address can and probably will change every time the VPN connects to a new server at a new location.
If the connection closes, Vuse can be set to not make any connections that are not on that particular network interface.
If the VPN does not reconnect to any of its servers, Vuse will not allow any of the connections to be made through any other route.

You'll have to excuse my lack of knowledge of the proper terminology.
I think I understand what happens, but I don't necessarily know how to explain it correctly.

Even though I do not care for Vuse, it does the job I require a torrent client to do.
by voyager on 2015/03/15 03:43:37 AM    
Addendum to my previous post:
If that can make Tixati do the job necessary.
Then, it obviously is not user friendly enough for prime time.
Carrying the admonition to not screw around with it unless you really know what you're doing detracts from its usability.
At least it does for this 70+ year old.
by Guest on 2015/03/17 04:14:09 PM    
Tixati has binding feature.

settings->network->connections

If you put the IP address of your VPN in the 'Local IPv4/IPv6 address' that will be the only ip that tixati uses.
by Guest on 2015/10/07 09:02:18 PM    
I just tried the binding feature described.
It does not do the job satisfactorily, or as efficiently as another torrent client does.
Example:  
Vuze binds to the network interface used by the VPN.
Whenever the VPN and/or client are started, the client automatically binds to whatever IP the VPN is using at that moment, and any other if it changes for some reason.

With Tixati, the VPN's IP has to be found and identified, then most likely reentered every time there is a new connection made to the client.
With my limited skills, the only way I know how to find what IP the VPN is using, is to start Vuze up and see what IP is being connected to on the specified network interface.

Tixati's method is too complex and prone to "pilot error".
I still judge that Tixati is not ready for prime time.

Do not construe my words here as anti Tixati.
It would still be my preferred torrent client if it handled VPN connections as it needs to under the present and future P2P conditions.
by Guest on 2015/10/13 01:27:58 AM    
If part of the holdup is dealing with the multiple crazy ways the different versions of windows name connections and adapters, I have a suggestion that might get around that. (insane crap like local area connection #5 when hitting up different wifis etc etc. I suspect vuze 'cheats' with some prebuilt java library that does all the hard work)

Have an option to bind Tixati to an adapter based on the MAC address. It might depend on VPN software, but my OpenVPN connection keeps the same one unless you manually edit the config, and hardware won't change either.
by Guest on 2015/11/25 01:09:48 AM    
I was looking for the same option (binding tixati to a mobile network interface), and while IP binding works, it's a bit cumbersome for interfaces like VPNs and mobile network interfaces with dynamic IP addresses. I think a Mac address based automatic binding would be a great option and a viable solution for the problem.
by Guest on 2015/11/25 05:13:05 AM    
I was looking for the same option (binding tixati to a mobile network interface), and while IP binding works, it's a bit cumbersome for interfaces like VPNs and mobile network interfaces with dynamic IP addresses. I think a Mac address based automatic binding would be a great option and a viable solution for the problem.

Upgrade to 2.27, this feature is in Settings > Network > Connection, click the little button near Local Address and you can select an interface name or GUID.

It works great.
by Guest on 2018/10/21 10:08:37 PM    
I use Protonvpn.  It has a kill switch that has been working for me.  If I lose my vpn connection, all internet connections are blocked until I return to my computer and manually reconnect.  I think protonvpn also will try to reestablish the vpn connection on its own and then resume internet traffic, but I haven't witnessed that except to see a message when coming back to the computer that said something like "unable to reconnect"...at that moment, all traffic is stopped.  I then tell tixati to stop all transfers, manually establish the vpn connection, then tell tixati to resume all transfers.
by Guest on 2020/12/11 10:51:52 PM    
I use Tixati and ProtonVPN. So all I have to do is Turn on the Kill Switch in Proton and link it to Tixati and all should be good for torrenting?

This web site is powered by Super Simple Server