Help and Support
Ask a question, report a problem, request a feature...
<<  Back To Forum

The migration question

by Guest on 2015/01/23 05:32:49 AM    
Hello there!

I've tried some torrent clients, going to try this one too, I've only seen it on other peoples pc but so far it looks neat. Thanks!

Here is the thing tho, before I can switch to a new client it has to make it easy for me to:

1 - import a giant list of torrents
2 - point them at the correct drive
3 - mark them as finished

I've looked at some migration tools people used to switch from client to client. In general the process is a pain in the ass.

However, after thinking about it for a bit, it isn't really necessary to convert exotic data formats between clients.

( For the sake of example assume the example user has 1000 torrents with the files divided over E:/downloads/  F:/downloads/  and G:/downloads/ )

All that is needed is:

1 - a way to specify where to "download" new torrents ( E:/downloads/ )
2 - an option to not automatically download new torrents
3 - a way to add more than one torrent without a prompt
4 - a way to perform a superficially check if the data is there already
5 - a way to delete multiple torrents without a prompt ( those not found on E:/downloads/ )

6 - a way to specify where to "download" new torrents ( F:/downloads/ ) without breaking previous downloads
7 - an option to add torrents without an "it already exists!" prompt.
4 - check if they exist again
5 - delete those not found again
6 - set path G:/downloads/
7 - add torrents
4 - check again
- finished -

Most clients already have 1, 2, 3 and 6

But 5 and 7 are usually missing, then one is stuck with the pain of many prompts. While it isn't appropriate for non developers to say something is easy to make, a check box to skip a prompt seems almost an exception to that rule. (lol)

I doubt they don't exist but I haven't seen a client with 4, while not entirely necessary, checking many TB's of data (it grows every year) takes a long time, it isn't very good for the drives and it takes some of the excitement out of trying a new client. The files are either there entirely or they are entirely not there. An option to assume the rest of the data is there if the first block is found would take a bit of work but it would save a ton of time.

Can Tixati already do these things? Will there be many thousands of prompts and days of file checking? Is it possible to make it do them?

I'm also curious how (besides from looking awesome) the client perform with many thousands of torrents.

Thanks for your time!

This web site is powered by Super Simple Server