Help and Support
Ask a question, report a problem, request a feature...
<<  Back To Forum

[v1.99] [XP SP3] Peer status messages?

by Guest on 2015/01/13 07:05:13 AM    
For a while I've been trying out a few clients such as tixati, qbittoreent, and as well deluge and so on. And mind you I'm no expert on any of these. So far, I almost always tend to prefer tixati over the others. I suppose its time to make a choice. One of the things that puzzle me about tixati under windows (XP SP3) is the overwhelming use of 'Timed out (2;10060)' status message under the 'Peers' tab.

So far I've seen these peer status messages and 'kinda get what they mean:

Connecting...
Both peers complete
IP Filtered
Self connect

On the flip side, I usually see a bucket load of 'Timed out (2:10060)' status messages. Is this something to be concerned about? Or is it just a general purpose message? <- I point out this last thing because I recently told tixati to accept only encryption for In/Out. Any and all peers flagged as 'plain' ended up with 'Timed out (2:10060)' as its status message.

Can anyone help me wrap my head around what I'm seeing? What exactly is 'Timed out (2:10060)' trying to point out?

TIA
by Pete on 2015/01/15 12:31:45 PM    
Timed out status means that a peer didn't respond within provided time. There can be a lot of reasons for this status message. I think most common are:
a peer is behind firewall or NAT (it's very common, even half of all peers),
a peer has shut down his computer,
the IP address is not longer valid (dynamically assigned).
There are many less common causes.

Why do you see "timed out" peers only using Tixati? Tixati displays all IP addresses at the Peers tab. Other programs usually display only connected peers by default. So in Deluge or qBittorrent you will see only peers that are connected at the moment, all "timed out" peers are just hidden from the list.
by Pete on 2015/01/16 09:41:51 PM    
I looked for 'Timed out (2:10060)' message, but I found only a lot of 'Timed out connecting'. So probably I was mistaken and your status message means something different. Maybe someone else can bettter answer your question.
by Guest on 2015/01/17 12:01:13 AM    
I point out this last thing because I recently told tixati to accept only encryption for In/Out. Any and all peers flagged as 'plain' ended up with 'Timed out (2:10060)' as its status message.

You've answered your own question. If the peer can't connect obfuscated to you then the peer can't connect to you, now can they?

This web site is powered by Super Simple Server