Help and Support
Ask a question, report a problem, request a feature...
<<  Back To Forum

Feature Request: temporary file extensions

by percussionking on 2014/12/27 04:16:34 PM    
Please add option to append .tix or some nonsense extension to files in progress:
linux.iso.tix
Then when it's finished downloading, take the extension off:
linux.iso

This would prevent the user from accidentally opening an incomplete file, and would prevent indexing incomplete files.

Thanks for considering!
~percussionking
by Guest on 2014/12/29 12:57:31 AM    
I agree.  Several times I've tried to open files that I thought were completed, but I receive an error and then realize that it is only partially downloaded.  That partial-download indicator was something I liked when I used utorrent.
Ken
by Guest on 2014/12/29 04:36:58 PM    
i hate the idea of default file extensions. an option maybe, but not default. use the move on complete and then you will have a folder with only complete files.
by Guest on 2015/01/01 02:44:45 AM    
True, the Move on Complete option is available, but if I use that I then have to manage two directories instead of just one.
by percussionking on 2015/01/02 07:03:06 AM    
Another problem is that Windows (sometimes with the help of 3rd party codecs) tries to make thumbnails out of the incomplete files. Also I don't need automatic backups of incomplete files.

The "move to" option works fine on single-file torrents but doesn't work for torrents with multiple files. Content can be prioritized, completed, and ready for use while the rest of the torrent downloads. I could be using one of the completed files and it gets moved out from under me. Furthermore, it means whatever I'm using to scan files needs to include the temporary folder, defeating the whole work-around.

I think this would be a good option to let the system and the user know just to skip over those files.
by Guest on 2016/01/16 08:15:15 PM    
Yes please
by Guest on 2016/02/15 01:19:56 PM    
When downloading a huge archive of individual things, move on complete doesn't cut it. By using a temporary extension, I can have a script waiting for each file to complete and then copy them to a folder of my choice as they come down. Useful when downloading multiple seasons of a TV series for example, and you want to add them to your media folder as they come down.
by CptGuapo on 2016/02/18 06:09:29 PM    
+1
by Bugmagnet on 2016/02/19 01:47:10 PM    
might using hardlinks, junctions or symlinks offer some options on this that would not entail duplication (using excess disk space) or making it hard or difficult to keep the torrent intact for continued seeding?

http://devtidbits.com/2009/09/07/windows-file-junctions-symbolic-links-and-hard-links/
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/16226/complete-guide-to-symbolic-links-symlinks-on-windows-or-linux/

With use of such links, the files can stay where they are so that Tixati can continue seeding from them, and the links can be used to organize them by whatever criteria is helpful.
by Guest on 2016/04/03 05:03:05 PM    
+1 for option to set specific extension for non-completed files. Even temporary files can be stored in specific directory, when there are many files, it's not easy to recognize, which are finished (and can be played by player), and which are just partial. I guess it's simple feature to implement.

Thank you in advance to consider it.

This web site is powered by Super Simple Server