Off Topic
Report problems with the forum itself, or any thing else not specific to Tixati
<<  Back To Forum

Can someone explain why this could be true?

by Guest on 2016/11/26 05:24:42 PM    
I was reading on another forum about clients to avoid, wanting to see my favorite client listed, I was saddened to see this note, someone with more expertise, can it be explained?

"Tixati – Banned on several public (and private) sites and trackers due it's ability to mask it self as another client, masked clients are usually picked up in other clients peer lists as “FAKE” (it's displayed in various ways). This might results in a block due to “fake” client and/or a block of the IP-address."

thanks!  I'm in need of better education than I currently have...
by Pete on 2016/11/27 01:36:16 PM    
Public sites don't ban clients. You can use whatever program you want for public torrents.

Yes you can make Tixati to pretend it's some other program if you want. When done right, Tixati won't be detected and labeled as fake. This feature is necessary because private sites often ban good clients with no reason. If they weren't doing that the feature won't be needed in the first place.
by Guest on 2016/11/27 11:19:17 PM    
This feature is necessary because private sites often ban good clients with no reason. If they weren't doing that the feature won't be needed in the first place.

On the other hand, Pete, why would such a 'feature' be available in a program that is banned because of that particular feature and the following ban on several private trackers?
They surely have their reasons - such as sending false data to the tracker, or, the core problem, manipulating the peer-ID.

If there is a problem with the program itself, why having such a 'feature' than fixing actual the issue of sending false data?
I'd gladly use it on various trackers (I'm more a public-guy though, thus I could care less), yet still I cannot find an answer, or ask *the* proper question.

I really admire Tixati for its usability and its many possibilities to modify several things (e.g. removing and adding trackers automatically, as I am a lazy human being). But it is that one 'feature' and the issue of sending false data indeed (a Tixati-user is shown as a peer with 0,4%, yet uploading 100% to me, meaning that only the currently downloading piece(s) is/are regarded as available at the Tixati-user's side).
Besides, why is Tixati using a specialized peer-ID different to known encoding styles (such as the Azureus-style)?

This web site is powered by Super Simple Server