Help and Support
Ask a question, report a problem, request a feature...
<<  Back To Forum

Would Tixati or Tixati portable write many data on my SSD (C:) s

by Guest on 2024/04/06 12:55:01 PM    
Because I found that My SSD (C Drive) got 10-20 GB data written on it daily even after i try to use Tixati portable instead of Tixati.
by TX007 on 2024/04/07 01:10:14 PM    
It depends on the size of Tixati files like core2.dat, that one for example is updated every 14 minutes, maybe other files have the same time interval. Because there is no option to change that interval, it's better to move Tixati portable folder to a hard disk if you are concerned about write cycles. You can also create temporary files with read only permission to stop Tixati from updating the files. For example, creating an empty (read only) file with the name core2.dat.temp will stop Tixati from updating core2.dat. Make sure to rename that empty file before closing Tixati, otherwise torrents added recently will be lost.
by ZarkBit on 2024/04/07 11:15:33 PM    
Today's SSDs can handle a lot of writing before being locked, I previously used Tixati on a Crucial MX100 (256GB) for a bit more than 8 years, it's currently with 71397 hours and 77.85 TB written on it, 33% lifetime used.
The drive is rated to withstand 72TB of data written, and it went way over that already.

By the time your drive fails, you probably already bought a new one. Set your download location to a HDD and don't worry about it.
by Guest on 2024/04/08 07:05:06 PM    
If you haven't been downloading to your C drive, likely another software is responsible for the majority of writes. Windows' Pagefile (using your storage when you run out of RAM) and Hibernation are the most likely candidates.

10-20 GB data written on it daily is not an issue for SSDs generally, except when you are a good torrenter, seed as much as you can, and you keep your drives filled up.
That's when SSDs, especially the TLC and now QLC drives can suffer, and the 10-20 GB of data write can "wear up" much more than 10-20 GB.
If you don't want to worry about filled up space degrading your drive's performance, pick an SSD that supports "overprovisioning", or one that has less capacity than 512*x GBs. An SSD sold with 480 GB capacity is likely better than one sold with 512 GB. Here is Kingson's blog post about it: https://www.kingston.com/en/blog/pc-performance/overprovisioning
by notaLamer on 2024/04/21 02:48:53 PM    
There are tools on Windows that will show which processes write a lot of data. Resource Monitor, Process Explorer... Yes Tixati does a lot of writes for its config files to avoid corruption but Windows itself probably does more.

This web site is powered by Super Simple Server