Help and Support
Ask a question, report a problem, request a feature...
<<  Back To Forum

Why refresh to tracker must have

by Nili on 2014/01/03 04:49:15 PM    
Hello!

I have often asked for a "Refresh to tracker" support in right click menu on transfer list. Now I understand even more why should and must be this feature.

I've always on seed DVDs 800 in total. Tixati client check every torrent file every 30/40min to report on tracker.
Imagine how much time Tixati need to check all of them, a lot of time. What if I have the problem with: "closing tixati properly due to power off" What happens with my upload stats? disappear like never existed.

Therefore always say I make upload a lot 20GB per day in my low int speed 2Mbp/s and see very little difference in my ratio changing because there is not a option refresh to tracker. If would have been a refresh to tracker I would do check often and will ensure that my contribution will be valued. So please add support regarding my request in future, because for me is very important as a seeder in a private tracker.

Since uTorrent has it does not mean we should not have even on Tixati, this is a feature, a lot necessary.

I look forward to a new version and if this requirement will be fulfilled well be an added value.

Thank you very much,
Regards,
Nili
by Nili on 2014/01/04 09:06:25 AM    
To clarify one small detail:

With "refresh to tracker" i mean update to tracker which is the same thing but did not find the right word.

Thanks,
Nili
by Pete on 2014/01/04 10:45:41 AM    
Like you said, Tixati updates trackers every 30-40 min (depends on tracker), so even if it's closed due to power outage, you'll lose only stats from last 40 min or less. The error, with not updating latest stats, when Tixati is closing with torrents running, was fixed in v1.95. In my opinion it's a little safer to use Stop All Transfers function and wait 3-6 minutes before closing Tixati. This way if tracker won't get every update due to many connections at once, Tixati will try again after 2 minutes, and then after 3 min.

It wouldn't hurt to have Announce option on transfers list context menu. Search DHT option is there, so I think this could be too.
by Nili on 2014/01/04 11:24:50 AM    
Pete
Like you said, Tixati updates trackers every 30-40 min (depends on tracker), so even if it's closed due to power outage, you'll lose only stats from last 40 min or less. The error, with not updating latest stats, when Tixati is closing with torrents running, was fixed in v1.95. In my opinion it's a little safer to use Stop All Transfers function and wait 3-6 minutes before closing Tixati. This way if tracker won't get every update due to many connections at once, Tixati will try again after 2 minutes, and then after 3 min.

It wouldn't hurt to have Announce option on transfers list context menu. Search DHT option is there, so I think this could be too.

Pete, you're right perhaps half of stats can be lost due to power off, this is true, i use always stop all transfer everytime that i should turn off Tixati or Linux system. But as i said i'm a seeder in a private tracker where the staying as many time online is significant. To say the right i stay running uptime with system and tixati for almost a month without turning off both. During this time if the anomaly shutdown/power off happens I predisposition to lose upload points reporting to tracker. Stoping often all transfer for me it is not a solution because I want to keep the gained points of my upload in my profile, if i stop transfer everything start from 0 on my profile after launch Tixati again. Therefore i am asking for a update tracker , so i can check all files every 6hours and create certainty security that everything I have given is counting at least. I think this feature is really useful for seeders in private trackers, so far Deluge, uTorrent and qBittorrent they have it.

DHT doesn't work for private tracker unfortunately. :(

Thank you for your suggestion,
Nili
by Pete on 2014/01/04 04:34:19 PM    
I think this feature won't help you at all. Why do you want to manually refresh all trackers every 6 hours? Each torrent automatically refreshes every 30 minutes already. Many private sites show only last session in user profile, so it is normal to see statistics zeroed after torrent is restarted. This doesn't mean whole session statistics are lost, total upload/download values are saved after each tracker refresh (every 30 min). When your machine turns off without stopping torrent properly, you'll lose only stats accumulated after last refresh. For 2Mbps upload and 30 min announce interval it would be less than 1GB total in worst case. I don't know what bonus point system is used on the tracker you are talking about, but it's wrong system if it requires you to seed constantly without possibility of turning off your computer, I'm sure manual refresh won't do any difference in this case.
by nnq2603 on 2014/01/04 04:52:42 PM    
Maybe as I read, Nili's point is Tixati should have got Announce command/function for all torrents in transfer list (or user choice selected number of torrents) rather than Announcing only for each single torrent at each time. Manually announce already in Tixati but currently only support one torrent at one time, with 800+ torrents (that he said) then nobody would manually do it.

Otherwise, I agree about other thing both of you mentions. As user only lost last amount of uploading from the last announcing (which is 30-45, etc.. depends on tracker).

It's somehow paranoid to always abuse the announce command (to update/refresh data report to tracker) by yourself every 15 minutes or so... But it doesn't hurt to make this function available to large numbers of torrents rather than only one torrent at the moment.
by Nili on 2014/01/05 11:51:41 AM    
Because as I said during my seed time may result in poweroff accidentally. If i do check every 6hr my torrent list that are 800 in total i assured that all my uploaded data are read successfully rather than lost, Ok if it is 1GB no problem but I doubt that the data loss may be higher than 1GB per 800 DVD9.

I make a simple comparison:
In BitTorrent / Win 7 there is options update tracker (disabled) where there is no need to check until it is needed to be checked after let say 30min.
once this option (update to tracker) becomes active, i hit two or three time and then again becomes disable because it is no longer necessary and to avoid flood.
I fear that Tixati client not reads all my data for my 800 torrents in seed.

Another thing i notice during my seed time with both clients:

Ratio was: 4.100
Uploaded 20GB with BitTorrent
Ratio became : 4.109

Ratio was: 4.100
Uploaded 20GB with Tixati
Ratio became : 4.104

These stats above I found to happening since long time, i'm using both Tixati and BitTorrent since 1 years. With BitTorrent i do update to tracker while on Tixati no.
Why there is such a change and different? on ratio, it's bug or the missing update to tracker? does update to tracker come to help? i think yes. Can rush reading the whole data immediately one or two time solely.
Perhaps it is a bug.People do not pay much attention to ratio most use the client for public tracker. Or i'm wrong.

With Tixati i'm seeding from Linux System while BitTorrent on Windows 7
I think that comes to the rescue the options (update to tracker) if properly programmed, i'll make a request to sent the necessary data permissible without flooding the tracker.
I use this option on BitTorrent, and so far I have not had a problem where am member.

As for the bonus points system or my idle online for a long time, there is an obligation from private tracker, I hang there myself, give the opportunity to others to be able to take
the files 24/7 and for this the system rewards me with bonus bonus points.

If it was so unnecessary this option, other clients would not have set it in their programs. I'm talking about uTorrent, BitTorrent, Deluge and qBitTorrent.
Can't remember for Vuze, kTorrent or others...

Anyway let devs decide how to look for the best possible.
Thank you Pete, nnq2603 for your participation and opinions.

Regards,
Nili
by Pete on 2014/01/05 06:53:59 PM    
Ratio is calculated from upload and download stats, it depends on both values. For example:
1) 41 GB upload / 10 GB download = 4.1 ratio, after uploading 20 GB, ratio will be 6.1
2) 410 GB upload / 100 GB download = 4.1 ratio, after uploading 20 GB, ratio will be 4.3

Maximum amount of reported data lost, when for example system crashes, depends on two things: your upload limit and tracker update interval. With 2 Mbps upload and 30 min interval you can lose at most about 0.5 GB, because that is the amount of data possible to upload in 30 minutes at 2 Mbps speed. It doesn't matter how many torrents are running. Of course it's more likely that some torrents aren't reporting if there are as much as 800 of them running. I think if you can't trust regular (automatic) tracker refreshes, then you shouldn't trust forced refresh too.

Tixati still has an issue that may be responsible for some upload/download stats lost. You have described it in topic "When private tracker goes offline".

I agree that "Refresh to tracker" option is useful and I'd like to be able to use it for multiple torrents, not just one at a time, but I think your problem won't be solved this way. Sure I vote for this option, even without any flood prevention mechanism (no need for that). If someone want to flood, he may do this already by start/stop all torrents.
by Pete on 2014/01/05 07:34:39 PM    
I just discovered that refreshing many trackers at once (even all) is already possible. In order to do this:
1. enable Tree View (Layout > Tree View),
2. make sure trackers are merged (Layout > Trackers > Merge),
3. select all transfers (Ctrl+A),
4. hit "right arrow" key to expand all transfers,
5. select all (Ctrl+A) - that will select transfers, trackers and peers (if merged),
6. right click on a tracker inside running torrent > Select Trackers > Announce.
;)
by nnq2603 on 2014/01/06 05:10:31 AM    
Oh, it works, thanks. I didn't know. So it's there already, but the way they implemented it in UI quite complicated for such a task. Or I just feel it because I'm native Windows user?? Maybe other OS users more familiar with such interface behavior.

That's yet another common task make overcomplicated in Tixati :D (IMO) While it suppose to be more easier and more straight-forward to every users.
by Nili on 2014/01/06 03:51:38 PM    
Cannot believe, it's there man,

I did not know before, I have one year to make seed and am convinced that I lost some of my small bandwidth only by not doing some refresh/announce.

This option is helpful really. Pete you're the man, Thanks alot for this fantastic find. I also think that this stuff "Select all" instant of CTRL +A devs to do a little more simple perhaps in transfer list > Select All > Announce.
However now I am very satisfied.

Thank you very much.
Regards,
Nili
by Guest on 2014/01/09 06:10:57 PM    
As some of the guys above, I too really think that there must be an easier way for manual Tracker reannounce.

I have an additional suggestion, that will make Tixati significantly faster - 'Automatic Announce to Tracker'.

'Automatic Announce to Tracker' means exactly what it says - to give the user the option to set Tixati to automatically reannounce at fixed periods, overriding the tracker's default announce time. This should be present both in the main 'Settings' window, and also in the Right-click options for the individual torrent tasks.

It should look something like this:

Main 'Settings' menu:

Settings -> Transfers -> Trackers -> Automatic Announce to Tracker
- Use the tracker's default announce time.
- Use automatic announce time (minutes): 30 (standard) //Comment on mouse hover - "Recommended - between 28 and 40 minutes."

Torrent task 'Right-click menu':

Right-click torrent task -> Trackers
- Default announce time.
- Automatic announce time.   //Uses the settings made in the Main 'Settings' menu.

This will be extremely useful for trackers that announce only once in 60 or 120 minutes (yes, such slow announcing trackers do exist).

By having an 'Automatic Announce' feature you can set the Announce to trigger every 30 minutes, instead of having to wait 60 or 120 minutes (the default for some trackers). Thus finding and connecting to peers will be much easier and faster, and even if the connection between you and the peer brakes, the 'Automatic Announce' assures you that you will connect with him againg soon via the tracker .

Greetings,
John
by Guest on 2014/01/09 07:46:38 PM    
Addition to my previous post for the "Automatic Announce" feature:

The "Automatic Announce to Tracker" feature can be renamed to "Custom Announce" ("Custom Reannounce"), so that it doesn't get confused with the tracker's "Default Announce" ("Default Reannounce").

Greetings,
John
by nnq2603 on 2014/01/10 04:59:43 PM    
I don't think make it a automatic task is a nice idea. Because private trackers tend to paranoid about cheating and users abnormal behavior. Anything suspective or abnormal can be risk when you try to do.

Normally, not any torrent client automatically re-announce (in a custom/strange patterns) as a feature (is it true? correct me if I'm wrong), only user manual re-announcing. If you've got a client that always annouce different than tracker setting, and day by day, it's not normal behavior... you're on risk if that's a hard private tracker. And there's a lot of reasons keep trackers banning Tixati already, maybe your wish feature is next one.
by Nili on 2014/01/10 08:31:37 PM    
But uTorrent/Bittorrent, Deluge, qBittorrent already have their own, There is no problem found with this feature in these clients, I'm using uTorrent and most BitTorrent on my Windows system and doing update to tracker on a private tracker. I just make sure all my my upload details are read out to private tracker nothing more and if i'll have any glitch with my system, losses to be small.

If it was so extremely negative why other clients have since very long time?
However this feature is already present in Tixati. And i'll use it (always whenever necessary needed) to avoid excessive demands by my side.
by Pete on 2014/01/11 12:24:33 AM    
I'd like override for tracker interval too, this could be done the same way as custom peerid or headers - for each tracker individually. Tixati already announces 2 minutes faster than tracker interval, it's OK for public trackers and I didn't have any problems with private ones too. However this feature would allow me to set interval exactly as tracker requires.
by John on 2014/01/11 09:34:51 AM    
I am posting this again, because my original message got lost somewhere.

nnq2603
I don't think make it a automatic task is a nice idea. Because private trackers tend to paranoid about cheating and users abnormal behavior. Anything suspective or abnormal can be risk when you try to do.

Normally, not any torrent client automatically re-announce (in a custom/strange patterns) as a feature (is it true? correct me if I'm wrong), only user manual re-announcing. If you've got a client that always annouce different than tracker setting, and day by day, it's not normal behavior... you're on risk if that's a hard private tracker. And there's a lot of reasons keep trackers banning Tixati already, maybe your wish feature is next one.
Custom Automatic Reannounce is a great feature.
It all depends on how it is implemented:
- There can be an option for a fixed reannounce, set to 30 minutes (custom set by the user).
- There can be an option for a random reannounce, for example - between 28 and 40 minutes (also custom set) - it will resemble manual reannounce.

Besides, if, purely hypothetically, trackers started monitoring the announce times, that would affect all custom reannounces, including the manual ones.
Also, constant monitoring will increase the tracker's load, so monitoring is not practical.

What is more interesting is that if everyone announced at a different time, that would reduce the tracker's load!
So you're helping the tracker run faster, not slowing it.

//Example:

First case - random reannounce:

Frank started a task (download or seeding) at 13:57:49 (hours:minutes:seconds). His client announces every 28-32 minutes. The tracker will reannounce between 14:25:49 and 14:29:49.
Jina started a task (download or seeding) at 14:18:27. Her client announces every 28-32 minutes. The tracker will reannounce between 14:46:27 and 14:50:27.

As you can see, with the 'random' reannounce, the tracker announces at different times.

Second case - fixed reannounce:

Frank started a task (download or seeding) at 13:57:49 (hours:minutes:seconds). His client announces every 30 minutes. The tracker will reannounce at 14:27:49.
Jina started a task (download or seeding) at 14:18:27. Her client announces every 30 minutes. The tracker will reannounce at 14:48:27.

As you can see, even with the 'fixed' reannounce, the tracker still announces at different times, because tasks almost always get started at different times by different users.

//End of example.

Nili
But uTorrent/Bittorrent, Deluge, qBittorrent already have their own, There is no problem found with this feature in these clients, I'm using uTorrent and most BitTorrent on my Windows system and doing update to tracker on a private tracker.
No, as far as I know this is the first time this feature has been proposed. All clients have 'Manual Reannounce', but still no client has 'Custom Reannounce'.

Greetings,
John
by nnq2603 on 2014/01/11 12:25:00 PM    
But uTorrent/Bittorrent, Deluge, qBittorrent already have their own, There is no problem found with this feature in these clients, I'm using uTorrent and most BitTorrent on my Windows system and doing update to tracker on a private tracker. I just make sure all my my upload details are read out to private tracker nothing more and if i'll have any glitch with my system, losses to be small.

If it was so extremely negative why other clients have since very long time?

@Nii: That is not what I was talking about. The guest said about automatic re-announcing system (wish feature). Utorrent as I use, surely it doesn't have this feature (automatic re-annouce in custom time range isn't in any client I tried, manually re-announce is available for those clients). They're different things.

Maybe it's just me. But custom automatic re-annoucing isn't available in any client yet, is it (?)

@Pete: About 2 minutes faster, is it really that faster? I gonna check it 'coz I haven't notice it re-annouce faster than 2 minutes...

This web site is powered by Super Simple Server