Help and Support
Ask a question, report a problem, request a feature...
<<  Back To Forum

Bug: Channels -  High CPU Usage

by EvilLivesHere on 2014/10/22 03:40:25 PM    
Hello Everyone!  
I've been battling a problem with Tixati since at least version 1.95 (when I started using channels a lot).
I am a rather heavy user of the Channels feature in Tixati.  For reference, I'm currently in 24 channels.  I have noticed an issue where, as you join more channels as a Manager, Tixati uses more and more CPU.  Currently, Tixati will stop responding every few seconds, locking up for anywhere from under a second to more than 5 seconds.  As you can imagine, this can get rather annoying when trying to type a response and it drastically reduces the speed at which transfers occur.  When I have channels disabled, or am just a normal user in all channels, Tixati uses anywhere from 0-4% of my CPU, with spikes to 6%.  Currently, it uses almost a constant 12-13% with occasional dips down to lower numbers for a second (13% of my CPU is 1 of its cores, so this means it is fully utilizing the 1 core that it can, apparently).

I suspect this has something to do with the additional responsibilities that being a Manager in a channel brings and this may even occur at one of the lower elevated user levels, but I have not been able to test that yet.  Somehow I doubt it should cause Tixati to stop responding though.

Can anyone else confirm that this has occurred to them as well?  I'm looking for freezing that started to occur after they began joining channels and becoming elevated (many channels are oddly configured to turn everyone into Managers...).  If any moderators need more info, pictures, video, want a guinea pig, please let me know and I'll gladly help out and provide data.

My Rig and Tixati Info:
AMD FX-9590 8 Cores 4.7GHz
16GB DDR3
Windows 7 x64 Pro
Running Tixati v1.99 x64
204 Active Torrents
Joined 24 Channels
by Guest on 2014/10/23 10:38:14 PM    
204 Active Torrents
Joined 24 Channels

Thats a lot of torrents and channels. especially if you are manager in majority. also how active are the torrents? if busy then more cpu.
by EvilLivesHere on 2014/10/24 04:06:12 AM    
Well, like I said, CPU increase only happens when channels is enabled and I'm an elevated user in them.  So how active my torrents are does not really factor into this.  But to answer, currently, I only have 3 torrents with any transferring data.
by Guest on 2014/10/24 10:32:19 AM    
i think the freezing has to do with saving the dat files. with so many channels and torrents it takes a few seconds to save them all.
by Guest on 2014/10/28 11:00:17 PM    
you might try parting from all channels that are streaming and see what effect that has
by Guest on 2014/10/29 04:08:41 AM    
streaming channels take up more cpu than channels without.
by EvilLivesHere on 2014/10/30 07:04:25 AM    
streaming channels take up more cpu than channels without.

Good point, I may try that to see what kind of an effect it has.  However, I was in the same channels before and after I became Manager in nearly all of them (several of which were streaming both audio and video), so I'm not sure streaming is the cause here.  I'm relatively confident it has something to do with either the strain of advertising the channel to others, (as that is one responsibility the client gains when become a Manager) or key generation for other users (as I believe that is another responsibility managers have).

i think the freezing has to do with saving the dat files. with so many channels and torrents it takes a few seconds to save them all.

Hmm that's something that I will investigate.  I'll see if there is a way to move where that file gets saved (pretty sure I saw a setting).  I have an SSD I can try moving it to.  I'll also monitor that file's usage to see if dips/spikes in drive access correspond with lag moments.  Thanks!

Whatever is causing the additional strain, I'm hoping it isn't meant to and is simply a bug or something that can be improved.  I'll report back at some point the additional strain that being in a streaming channel causes.  Unfortunately, most of the channels I was in have just died as the owner did not return before keys became invalid for the managers, so I'll have to wait until they come back (I'm looking at YOU # channel owner :p)

This web site is powered by Super Simple Server